Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > EQUIPMENT & HOUSING > Mews, Weatherings or Temporary Housing

Old 03-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Egg

Default Mesh Door Problem

I'm hardly ever on this website and I'm still a beginner so please bear with me!

I have 2 doors in my aviary, one solid door and a second door covered in thick-gauge wire mesh. Usually I have the solid door open and the mesh door locked during the day. Before my Harris Hawk started his moult, he would jump from his perch and grab hold of the wire door with a huge bang whenever he heard somebody outside and in the process he would damage all of his tail feathers. He did it repeatedly until someone went to the door but would then continue straight after they left. He only does it when he isn't fed up.
When we took him to the vets for his check up, I asked the vet how we could solve this problem and he said to replace the mesh with vertical bars so he had nothing to grab on to but so far we can't find a safe and secure way to redo his door like this. He has already started to hit the door again and now he has all of his new tail feathers I would hate for him to ruin them again because of the mesh.

If anyone has any suggestions of the way I can redo his door or possibly a different method of getting him to stop hitting the door that would be really helpful to me.
Like I said I am still a beginner and I'm just here for some advice.

Thank you very much!
-Jess
Old 03-11-2017, 10:39 PM
Dave Cross
Passage

Default Re: Mesh Door Problem

Have the mesh on the outside of the door and tack scaffolding screen on the inside of the door so that the frame is a gap between the mesh and the screen.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:59 AM
Egg

Hi FabuJess,

Could you post up a picture of the door in question so we can better advise.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:58 PM
Angie Rooney
Passage

Hi FebuJess,

If you are looking for a solution, bars are the way to stop it, now we have two frame works with bars that we are not using, they are steel road pins covered with plastic pipe, if you wanted to fit them in your door you are more than welcome to them, free of charge, you would have to come and collect as two heavy to send, we are in Lincolnshire just outside Spalding. I have attached a picture of what they look like, if you want the sizes and a picture of actual frames let me know.DSCN0288.jpg

DSCN0406.jpg
Old 06-11-2017, 08:40 PM
Egg

That sounds like a really great solution, thank you so much!
Sadly its a bit too far for us to drive to you and i'm very thankful for the kind offer but its such a great idea! Luckily my dad is great at building things and i asked him if this could be possible on my hawk's door and he said it should be alright to use on his door and he already has some good steel road pins so all we have to do is buy some plastic pipe! Thank you so much It's so nice to know there are so many kind people willing to help
Old 07-11-2017, 05:31 PM
Angie Rooney
Passage

No problem at all happy to help, we have 11 Harris hawks and they are all different.