Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo > Harris Hawks

Old 09-11-2017, 12:03 AM
Harold James II
Passage

Default Re: Rogue 2016 female Harris hawk

Well today was very interesting to say the least Rogue was in her middle of her weight window at 33.5oz and started off great following on like a typical outing. When a semi pulled directly under her and parked and hit the air breaks and off she went. She flew off 200 yards then as I approached off she would go finally after I'd guess 1000yrds total she turned and came straight back to the lure.
I called her up to glove walked back to the car loaded her up to drove to another location got her out she went right back to her normal self.
Me and John Haugh started working the thicker cover wasn't long John bumped one Rogue came over indicating that it was still in the cover we both started moving towards it busted out Rogue came in like a fighter jet low to the ground and just simply walked it down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0480.jpg (95.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0477.jpg (90.2 KB, 87 views)
Old 09-11-2017, 01:53 PM
Shane
Brancher

Rogue seems to be going well!

What is her upper weight?
Old 09-11-2017, 02:16 PM
Harold James II
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneShac View Post
Rogue seems to be going well!

What is her upper weight?
2lbs 4.6 oz but I mainly keep her around 2lbs 1.5 to 2lbs 2
Old 09-11-2017, 02:21 PM
Shane
Brancher

Ok thanks! My current female is taking hares like a champ at 2lb so aiming to push her up slowly to 2.2 if the heat eventually subsides
Old 09-11-2017, 02:38 PM
Harold James II
Passage

I have no doubt if I had hare here she would kill them without a problem. She shows great interest in Canadian geese. She will actually growl in displeasure if I don't slip her on them lol.my bucket list is to go out west and fly Jack rabbit
Old 19-11-2017, 11:02 PM
Harold James II
Passage

It's been a about a week since I've been able to get out and fly Rogue but today I decided to give it a go even with 19 mph winds so I met up with a buddy and headed out we were in field two minutes got two quick flights thick cover saved them from meeting their fate. We moved across the street to where the first two bunnies made their escape.we spotted a power tower in the open with a bean field next to it good cover under it rogue flew up to middle of it. Before my buddy could properly work it a bunnie came out up wind running fast rogue flew out down making it freeze she went on by it landed in tree andnd quickly slammed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6587.jpg (101.7 KB, 60 views)
Old 20-11-2017, 09:30 AM
Shane
Brancher

Great work again from Rogue.

Careful with those power towers. read about 2 good birds getting fried on them this week

Keep those posts coming
Old 23-11-2017, 02:51 AM
Harold James II
Passage

So today started off great plans to fly with a buddy was in check Rogue was at weight a nice 33.7oz. the weather was a beautiful 36 degrees. Everything was going as smoothly as possible Right up into a hr before my buddy was to meet me instead of the text saying I'm on my way it was a I'm sorry ot came up. Well after making several calls to other people it was clear it was going to be just me and the HH. So I get dressed load her up pack my hawk food in the bag and head out
Drove to one of my thinner more easier to walk spots as I have come to the clear fact I'm fat and out of shape and don't completely trust my self to hunt alone but it's what we Falconers do. So I get there put Rogue up and make it 20ft in to the field and there are some reeds as I like to call them. They are on average of 8 to 10ft tall land thick.
I take my first ten ft in rogue quickly flies over and indicated I have something moving. She did this twice before finally taking a nice perch on the only tree close to the reeds.i double back as I've played hide and seek in the reeds lots of times.i was roughly ten feet in when rogue good over me goes straight up and flips over backwards and straight into the reeds.i quickly heat the sounds of the Bunny I run in find rogue being brushed up against a base of reeds I quickly get the situation under control and dispatch the bunny. I let her settle and pluck and trade her off and headed to another location only to be limited to just a bunch of great attempts and misses. I was then meet by one if those helpless situations we all dred. Rogue moved up into a small but tall tree after missing a bunny. I circled back and next thing I hear is rogue panicking and bouncing up and hanging up side down. I quickly move over to see what's going on and find some how she got her leg caught in the V of two branches and had her foot closed causing her to be stuck. I tried to lightly shake the tree and gently pull the Vines with no help. I started yelling up up up and she managed to up right self and free her self. I quickly called her down inspected her for cuts and damage nothing found.
I offered her a few tossed tidbits to check her footing looked good. I put her back up for some simple following on the see if she would favor the for and leg nothing noticed.i walked back to the truck and she followed on I pulled the lure out and she slammed it. I then pulled the rabbit out and she instantly slammed that as well. I feed her up and have now checked her twice and seems me and Rogue got a lucky break. I'll continue to check on her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171122_155206.jpg (99.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171122_155210.jpg (101.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 23-11-2017, 08:25 AM
Shane
Brancher

Another good bunny for Rogue. Those reeds must be tough to get through, its always surprising how hawks seem to have x-ray vision or something

Happy that the issue with her getting caught in the tree was resolved quickly!
Old 23-11-2017, 09:07 AM
Passage

Well done on the bunny. Glad Rogue is ok .