Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Eagles - Aquila

Old 10-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Brancher

Default Re: Zeus- a muddled diary in pics and words!

Nice one Zeus! Hope there's many more....
Old 10-11-2017, 09:39 PM
Shane
Brancher

good result for an unfit eagle!

Shape of things to come
Old 14-11-2017, 10:19 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

One slip today up hill from the start, he flew it hard for quite some distance till he gave in. I was surprised at the effort
Will do fitness work when I get time to fly him admit enough hares to make hunting a way of getting him fit at the moment!
Old 15-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Shane
Brancher

We have quite a few hares over here too. Keep going for them as Zeus will surely get a lot stronger chasing them round the fields
Old 26-11-2017, 06:36 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

Its not over till its over!

This week the little time Ive had to put into Zeus has been all about some fitness reps and weight loss! Short rope pulls to bechins and jump ups . The jump ups didnt go to plan, I stood on a six foot hillock and called him up, first one went well but then I sent him back down to a reward on his mat and called him again, he looked at me, turned his back, flew away turned and came back, gaining the height on the outrun! Not stupid these Goldies!

Yesterday we went hunting, weight 8lb 9oz, exactly where I wanted him! He was fed a hare back leg the morning before with most of the meat removed. This was to give him an energy boost of some hare meat, calcium kick and marrowbone too I guess.
My friend Mike had asked me to take Zeus out with him and a couple of old friends. My son had taken them ferreting in the morning and they had had some sport and ended on a bunny with the FHH.
Ive had ten days of very severe shoulder and neck pain on the right, with nerve pain running down my arm, so carrying Zeus in cold wind and not seeing much sport was hard
However we walked fields that hadnt been walked this season and although dire we did see a few hares. First one got up on flat ground a long way off but Zeus was away and he ate up the ground with the wind behind him, the hare making the hedge at the far end of the field, it must have stopped there as Zeus folded up and went into the hedge bottom hard! I was running but as I was about 80 yards away Zeus jumped out from the hedge and returned to the glove. I had seen another hare before this in another field but it was a loong way off and running hard into the wind so the hood stayed on.

Next up took some walking, lots of it! and nothing to see. We entered another field and a hare broke behind my wellies, it was off at full tilt uphill into the wind, I slipped Zeus out of a miniscule hope the hare would turn at some point! It didnt and made the hedge about 60 yards or more ahead of the bird, Zeus ploughed dogedly on, soared above the hedge, the hare was gone so he flew all the way back to the glove, his wings looked tired!

We walked on.... nothing and nothing and nothing. the last field was once a good one and I walked all the way to the top of the hill staying tight to the hedge as cover, I finally got to the top and turned to wave my beaters to walk the hill up to me, they were all exaggeratingly shrugging their shoulders at me hundreds of yards away! I found out later a hare had broke behind me and ran away across the field in a good trajectory for a slip! they had been shouting to me but the wind noise in my ears and the direction had carried the sound away! I think they were annoyed! hehe
they trudged up the hill all three of them and as they reached the top of the hill, by now dejected they had bunched up and were nattering( I learnt long ago its over when the birds in the van and not before, I held position and 'HARE'! yes Ive seen it already ta!

The slip on hood was off and Zeus was away, this hare ran perfectly, Zeus flew perfectly and stayed low with rapid wing beats and the hare was ahead of the eagle as the bird closed into it somewhat side on. A short tussle and Zeus was sitting up proud as a golden eagle does! To be honest he made the actually catching bit look very easy, mostly luck....but he is now in his 5th season so a bit of experience chucked in.

I ran over and dispatched the hare as it was still twitching, first I put the spike into my hand.... I let Zeus pluck at the fur and after a bit stepped him up perfectly to a hare leg from the freezer.
Unlike the last 3/4 grown one this was a whopper!

Very pleased as I knew Zeus was going to be on it and I knew if we could get a slip where he had a shot at the hare in the open he would have a good chance!

two hares in about as many outings, tough as ever this season and we wont be hunting much at home as not much there!

No photos as my phone had switched off and gone flat. Before we left I emptied the birds bath out whilst on the phone, it fell off my ear into the puddle as it bounced off block paving.....cracking the screen. Im not right at the moment! combined with my right side pain my left pinky finger has swollen and after a week of pain I went to the docs with both things! 8 weeks and the shoulder etc should go on its own! and the finger is gout!really?!!

More fitness work this week then sky trials in spain before some serious time for the eagles untill march
Old 27-11-2017, 10:20 AM
Mark Hilary
Brancher

Good right up Dave one of few threads worth coming on here for
Old 27-11-2017, 07:28 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

Bless ya! not much traffic on this place these days, death by facebook!
Old 29-11-2017, 03:09 PM
Shane
Brancher

Good post and Zeus seems to know what this hare catching is all about.

I will probably be at the sky trials on the Friday. Hope to see you
Old 30-11-2017, 03:44 AM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

hes seems more on it than ever this year, ironically as hes hardly been ot so far!

Message me your mobile number, i have a feeling well be there saturday! but not sure
Old 01-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Egg

Amazing read start to finish! Thank you for sharing the ups and downs, it shows what falconry really is! Cool to follow along, I've had laughs gasps and wows, oh and got peeved at the dern lady w/ the lucky pup.

Goldies are my inspiration! Your struggles and heart aches have not deterred me, only reaffirmed I've got atleast 10 yrs before I'll give it a go. 4th year falconer flying(training) my first gos.

Really should/could clean this thread up and print it. Make a hell of a mixed biography of you and zues' first 5 yrs. I've gone through all 78 or 79 or 80 pages in a week and felt like I was beating brush and dragging mud with you! Great read sir!

Keep up the good work 'friend, and you and Zeus stay healthy fit and safe!