Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 06-11-2017, 09:15 PM
Terry
Passage

Default Re: Flicker Male parent Peregrine x Prairie Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSquance View Post
Lol, good stuff, thanks for sharing.
Kind regards Chris
They make a great lure too if you stuff one inside another and tie them on a bit of string. Just spent 10mins trying to post a picture of it for you....but cannot...!
Old 06-11-2017, 09:32 PM
Paul MacDermot
Passage

Here you go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20171106-WA0000.jpg (107.0 KB, 180 views)
Old 06-11-2017, 09:38 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUsHilarius View Post
Here you go...
Cheers Paul.

For you Chris...to show his lure.

Joking aside. I've been using the rubber gloves because his mongrel feet keep piecing themselves if I use traditional leather that gets shiny and slippery. The glove especially helps this. He has done it again this year. Same talon in same toe. But the rubber helps the problem for sure.

Regards

Terry
Old 06-11-2017, 09:57 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Cheers Paul.

For you Chris...to show his lure.

Joking aside. I've been using the rubber gloves because his mongrel feet keep piecing themselves if I use traditional leather that gets shiny and slippery. The glove especially helps this. He has done it again this year. Same talon in same toe. But the rubber helps the problem for sure.

Regards

Terry
Here's a fresh picture of toe taken tonight.

See I've cut the talon back. I did cut it back immediately after moulting. Then again last week.

Regards

Terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20171106_22_09_30_Pro.jpg (87.6 KB, 174 views)
Old 06-11-2017, 10:48 PM
Passage

That's annoying Terry, I hope it heals up well for you, good idea with the rubber gloves. I was only yanking your chain!. Atb Chris
Old 11-11-2017, 10:46 PM
Passage

How you getting on with Flicker?
Old 14-11-2017, 10:44 PM
Terry
Passage

Hello

Must try to update more. Its gets hard to remember his weights.

After the Partridge last Sunday I didn't fly him for four days.

Friday just gone. 1lb 77grams I think. Got home very late and he was very keen bating at me on the pick up at 4.00pm. Cadge running and reaching off fist when walking in pond. Keen.

Tide was in. Spec flew the long pond. He flew wide mounting, probably looking for check but didn't find any. He met me at the pond as usual but as I climbed the fence I see a wild tiercel is with him. No kekking from them but the wild one chasing him and putting its feet out. I ran the pond throwing rocks and nothing went that I saw but then he stooped but late because of the harassment. He started to remount and the wild one came back. I shouted at it and it went. He made about 200ft and I walked the pond to the end for no flush. Fed him three chicks one with yolk. Too much...

Saturday at 3.00pm - not bating on collection but flicking his wings. Jumped up fine but weighted 1lb 85grams I think.
Took him to my farm. Arrived at 4pm to fly some Greys but released and a pen. On Unhoodimg he went straight line to a pylon 150 yrds away. He's landed on the same one before here. Flashed him the lure and he took off then immediately landed on a roof behind. Waited him out for a few minutes and he spotted some running Redlegs and was off from sitting....his ambush failed but I think he was in the hedge after them. Heard them alarm calling just before but couldn't see him. Was swinging lure and he came in surprising me so bundled back in bag. He wanted in but I wouldn't allow. And marched off to pen few hundred yards. He made 100ft and then no flush. Probably for the best. Called him in and fed 1 1/2 chicks.

Yesterday he was 1lb 70grams on pick up at 4pm. Felt light on my hand even. Strangely not seeming frantic keen on pick up and not cadge running. I thought a little low maybe.

Took him to the swimming ditch where it always goes wrong. Tried to spot ducks but difficult in low light. Saw ripples though and the have been here every time before. Very still and clear sky. He flew perfect at first !
Definitely not weak. Mounted really well. 500ft or more. Dead above. Video camera in hand, and I ran in.....
No ducks !
But must be here. I ran on along the twisting ditch more, and more. He didn't wait long though. Getting higher and heading off to the fishing lakes 1/2 mile ahead. I tried to call him in. But no.
Yep another stoop. Same place as before and gone. The Tossser !
Waited as long as I dare then set off tracking after ten minutes.
He was eating a Moorhen on same field as before. Almost dark now. Dangerous for foxes and Buzzards. Fed him two chicks.
Walking back I put two separate Teal off the ditch and then spotted the resident Mallards on an adjacent wider brackish dyke that joins it.

Nightmare in all.

Tonight he was 1lb 85grams. Didn't bate at me. Jumped up ok.
Nice evening. Couldn't resist trying to fly. But farm workers at long pond at dusk.

Probably not flying tomorrow because of work.

Regards

Terry
Old 15-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Paul MacDermot
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Hello

Had a great day today.

Picked him up at 11.30am. Not bating at me but jumped on my hand. He'd cast his black moorhen pellet. 1lb 87grams so over but still early.

Drove a few hours to Huntingdon to meet my friend Steve Moore. Arrived at 2pm for hunting. He's got some nice land. Never flown here before. Initial drive around showed a few different potential slips. We chose a covey of Greys settled on a grassy road way. We drove off for 10mins to get around them and spotted them again and backed well off.

Flicker seemed quite lively on cadge when he heard me check tracker signal. This was a perfect set up. We was 200yrds on a field behind and obscured by an a rough corner of brambles an old farmers tip site near to the partridges.

As I let him off Steve said 'gown mate no moorhens here' after yesterdays checking. I replied 'Don't worry he'll find something' !

This is good open land. The only check we had seen was crows.

He started mounting close and climbing. But then drifting abit wide. A few more turns and very high now but quite far away. I swung the lure a few turns. Then he's really high but a few hundred yards away. I can see he hunting for check. He started to line up....! But he obviously couldn't see anything viable. I swung the lure again and he started to return.
Now he's fine and with us for a 100yards walk in and 600ft ish. All perfect.

We ran the last bit hollering. They flushed just right. Cracking closed up stoop and a good solid hit knocking one down hard. Looped over fast and it dodged him on the floor. He flew it to nearby brambles and crashed in after it but failed to catch it.

Cracking flight today. But he was definitely looking to check. The git.

I have filmed it so ill send the card to Mr Hilarious to see if he can edit and post it for us. Its a corker....!

5 hours driving for five minutes flying...lol

Would do it again tomorrow if I could...!

Regards

Terry
Here is the Movie! Looks like the partridge didn't entirely dodge him on the floor as he took a handful of feathers out of it...

Https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_0K...ew?usp=sharing
Old 15-11-2017, 07:58 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUsHilarius View Post
Here is the Movie! Looks like the partridge didn't entirely dodge him on the floor as he took a handful of feathers out of it...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_0K...ew?usp=sharing
Thanks Paul

Well edited again....

After he chased it to the brambles behind and crashed in after it. He nearly had him there too.

I was a cracking flight. Tough little birds they are.....lol

Great fun.

Regards

Terry
Old 18-11-2017, 09:50 PM
Terry
Passage

Hello

Yesterday I picked him up at 3.00pm. Bating at me on sight. Weighted 1lb 77grams so perfect...

At 3.45pm he wasn't cadge running but eager to be picked up. Nice evening. Little breeze and going to fly released Greys attracted to a pen hoping for a good accurate flush.

Let him off and he's kekking immediately...Buzzard near by ? and then we see the Buzzard a few hundred yards away to the right.
Flicker goes off left to avoid buzz then we see him being chased by a female peregrine.
Then he was gone.
We waited 20 mins for him and had a signal that was moving at first. Then static.
We went off by car then on foot. Across a few fields and over a railway line embankment.
Tracking him into the dark with a torch.
Then eventually got to a ditchline with thick black thorn hedges on a golf course with very strong signal by torchlight about a mile from release point. I thought the worst as I just couldn't find him for ten mins and a fox earth in the hedge line.
Eventually finding him 30yrd to the side sitting on a tree stump 4ft high with a crop on him. But didn't seem like a completely full crop. I handed him the lure by torch and secured him. Then searched for the kill. Finding a ring of moorhen feathers on the fairway 10ft away including the stomach stone and some intestines but no moorhen. He definitely hadn't eaten the whole thing. All very strange. Either something had robbed him or he'd left the kill and flapped up onto the stump and a fox took it ?
Don't know what actually happened. But its very strange his crop wasn't completely full and that he left the kill without bolting away if he'd been robbed.

Anyway - just over 1lb 4oz today at flying time. Didn't feed him anything.

Regards

Terry