Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > What is your County, Province or State? > United States

Old 25-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Egg

Default North american goshawk uk

Hi, could anyone give some info on buying an American imprint goshawk. and how I would go about importing one to the uk. and could anyone give me a breeder contact .
Old 25-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Mark
Passage

Default Re: North american goshawk uk

hope this help
http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showt...erican+goshawk

Trawl through the thread mate, catch up with you laters
Old 25-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Jim Entwistle
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlp1980 View Post
hi, could anyone give some info on buying an American imprint goshawk. and how I would go about importing one to the uk. and could anyone give me a breeder contact .
Ain't going to happen.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Egg

Finally got one sorted from a bloke in Canada
Old 01-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Egg

What is the protocol importing from Canada,CITES,quarantine etc etc.
Old 15-03-2016, 07:15 AM
Egg

I can only comment on 2 parts, across the Atlantic opposite direction to USA runs $ 7,000.- $ 8,000 USD per bird w/ quarantine, customs, lading, export brokers, air fares, etc. and here in Yankieland, must be in a breeding cooperative, or a zoo, or some other biological entity. But then falconers are permitted to take limited wild passage/ eyess birds. Canada to US is even more complex for us. Presently w/ Avian influenza virus visiting here and there, may not be possible for any price ? Maybe try Mexico as last resort, falconry/ Aviculture/ bird abatement has grown immensely the last decade. ?
Why do u want one ? I've always had a great passion for all Goshawks Gentilis, ( since age 5 seeing " The Vikings " 1957 film Kirk Douglas loses an eye to one, thrown by Tony Curtis, not the excellent new series, ) and seen a few flown successfully, nearly as many not pleasing their trainers for their falconer's inexperience over the years. To really observe in the wild takes luck Ninja Stealth, or the patience of Buddha himself, even w/ audio calling ?Unless you have some dynamic super individual idea for breeding, hybridizing or something really original, for flying the Europeans are definitely a shade, a couple a, 3 hairs calmer than their American counterparts. I hypothesize with the theory that Euro Gos, unlike New World, have seen Mans Cvlz. for 2,000- 3,000 or more years, and have acclimated to humans to a slight degree. Harris fear of canines same reasons. Coyotes/ ground threat lasted 1969 & first capture & training for falconry in modern history ( except ? Aztecs, 16th C. Gentry of Spain ? ) As a Californian who studied in Cornwall, UK, and traveled a bit,Asia & Europe. As a Britaine I'll assume you do have good reason, and that you already know all above ? whats the chances one will lose itself during a freak storm & migrate to Europe ending up in Faeroe , Scotland, England ? ending up as yours. ( I realize no legitimate wild raptor take in Old World, a dream) It happened the other way w/ Euro Gos to Wyoming right ? Cheers and good luck

Anyway find yourself a nice Central European Goshawk, Ive flown 3 in the last 16 years, These are not beginner birds ( even if Yeoman & Serfs flew them ) and really need to be manned 24/ 7 not only through early training, but continually through out life.