Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > EQUIPMENT & HOUSING > Telemetry & other Tracking Equipment

Old 08-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Jim Termini
Default Re: Telemetry Essentials

Radio telemetry seems a bit antiquated? is there a GPS or GPRS system available? i would have thought that a system based based on GPS would have better battery life, better accuracy and cheaper? apologies if this particular tree has been barked up before.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Luke Wilson

There are threads on it Vortex but the general conclusion was that gps is not quite there yet.
As in size of transmitter and other issues

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-07-2013, 07:20 AM
simon palmer

Hi all, I'm looking to purchase my first telemetry set and just wanted to know what people's thoughts were on GPS telemetry. I would like to know if anyone has field tested this technology and what the feedback is like. I do know that the ones you can get in this country are supplied by GB Falconry and their reputation is , let's say, "far from great" but I would really like to know if anyone has an unbiased opinion.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:18 PM

Radio telemetry works just fine. Why complicate what is already sound proven technology??? I dread the day we have to download a cell phone app to find our birds.

Besides... with all the dog hunters switching over to GPS, the market is flooded with great used telemetry receivers at terrific prices.
[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][I]I dream of a day when chickens can cross a roadway without having their motives suspect for questioning.[/I][/FONT]
Old 04-02-2015, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by DaveJem View Post
Brilliant thread.
But could you please elaborate for a beginners perspective please.
What I mean is, as there are so many systems on the market, could they be compared maybe on other members experiences.
I know marshall seem to be the dogs danglies, but customer support is zero, wheras tinyloc is a good system with good customer support.
Can a reciever and transmitter from different suppliers be mixed and matched etc?
Then there are frequency dilemmas.
A laymans guide to telemetry would be great.
Huh. That is news to me. As far as I can tell from other threads here and on NAFEX Marshall has pretty incredible customer support. Interesting to hear if your assertion is due to personal experience (some details perhaps?) or just hearsay.
Old 18-12-2015, 01:19 AM
Default Re: Telemetry Essentials, used Wildlife Materials receivers

For those of you who do pick up a WMI TRX3 or TRX10 from the dog market going to GPS and who wish to change a unit to 216 MHz. The Cheap Beep Project (me) has crystals available at cost and can provide instructions.
Just desolder the old crystal, solder in a new one and you are moved to the 216 band (on the same channels as previously unless you make additional changes).
Also instructions for how to change a TRX3 to do 10 or 16 channels. The 10 channel is pretty easy. The 16 channel conversion (which I prefer) requires cutting a rectangular hole in the face plate.
At this time the cheap Wildlife Materials receivers seem to have faded in North America, but may still be available in Europe
Old 18-12-2015, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by MadAdam View Post
hay there Ive used some telemetry with another falconer for doing the lantra coarse, was rather good

but as a beginner i don't know what frequency receiver i would get ??? (obviously i would get the same as my transmitter)

you have a couple of choices of different frequencies in the UK but which would be the better for reliability and distance, and bouncing off buildings etc. 173m, 216, 218, 433, 434.
i have heard the 430's are more powerful but is there relay any difference ???

From someone who understands all the technical details, forget the technical details. Use the frequency that the other falconers in your area are using.

I recommend you start with a Yupiteru MVT-7100 scanner receiver. Usually available on Ebay.co.uk for under 100 pounds (50 if you are patient). Receives all of the above frequencies. Equal in sensitivity to the WMI commercial receivers on 216 (I tested). You will need separate receive antennas for 173, 216-220, and 433-434.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:22 PM

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my understanding Receivers have crystals that allow the unit to pick up the signal generated by the crystal in the transmitter. Most have multiple frequencies that you can choose on a single receiver just by turning a dial or pressing a button. Most have both an audible signal, as well as some form of meter to show signal strength. Some use a series of led lights.

essentials, telemetry