Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 20-12-2017, 06:19 PM
Brancher

Default Re: Spike Hardcore Hawkers Male Gos

Quarry numbers are down here as well.
Its a real struggle trying to get this inexperienced hawk the slips he deserves.
It wasn't so bad when I had my old female imprint as she had the experience and often brought something to the bag even if she only had the one chance.
Roll on next season.
Old 21-12-2017, 09:15 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSquance View Post
Hi Steve, I apologise in advance for maybe trying to teach my granny to suck eggs but have you got any feelers out, if there are a few birds there that find the feeders, they soon tell their friends and bring them round to tea. Anyway good luck and hope you find some more game. Atb Chris
Hi Chris, It's a subject I need to broach, I have flown this ground for 28 years but with the Farmer it was always a Vermin only arrangement, Unfortunately He passed away 2 years ago, I now deal with his son who is only 22 and I think a little more accommodating, although fortunately he has said he will never allow shooting on his ground which I am very happy about, He really want's to come out and watch over Christmas and as all we are finding is Cock Pheasants that is a flight he is going to see, so hopefully that will pave the way for discussion, although it may also mean my marching orders But hopefully I do not think this to be the case. I have also for many years been looking for ground to rent so I can put pens up and a few birds down for Hawking, but everything local is always taken by Shooting and the revenue it generates. I don't blame the landowners but many of them don't understand how little game relatively the Falconer catches, although the amount of Sport can be great, so there is a line in the sand as to what one can afford to pay in way of rent, which unfortunately is a lower amount than the Guns can afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
Quarry numbers are down here as well.
Its a real struggle trying to get this inexperienced hawk the slips he deserves.
It wasn't so bad when I had my old female imprint as she had the experience and often brought something to the bag even if she only had the one chance.
Roll on next season.
Hi David, I feel very fortunate to have an experienced Bird in his Ninth season, as I doubt I could accommodate a first year Hawk as things are, still next season might mean bumper numbers of quarry as I have experienced in the past, as I have stated before I still cover all the same ground now which used to produce high double figure or even low triple figure head counts each season. fortunately as I have aged I do not hold numbers in such high importance, but if you and the Hawk are putting the effort in you need the rewards. For example I flew a male Harris for 5 seasons in between Goshawks and in those 5 seasons he killed 576 head which now sounds absolutely impossible Maybe I should get another one of them
Old 21-12-2017, 09:57 AM
Brancher

Hi David, I feel very fortunate to have an experienced Bird in his Ninth season, as I doubt I could accommodate a first year Hawk as things are, still next season might mean bumper numbers of quarry as I have experienced in the past, as I have stated before I still cover all the same ground now which used to produce high double figure or even low triple figure head counts each season. fortunately as I have aged I do not hold numbers in such high importance, but if you and the Hawk are putting the effort in you need the rewards. For example I flew a male Harris for 5 seasons in between Goshawks and in those 5 seasons he killed 576 head which now sounds absolutely impossible Maybe I should get another one of them[/QUOTE]

As you say Steve, there is always next year.
There is still a lot of flying time from now til the moult.
I will fly game until the season ends, even though numbers are low, then concentrate on corvids, etc.
Unfortunately rabbits are at an all time low, but there are still a few pockets around.
Hopefully they will come back, but it seems doubtful in the near future.
I wish I had a female as there are still a good number of hares around.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:50 PM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

I have actually seen some good sport the last few outings with flights at Pheasant, Mallard, and English Partridge. He has bound to two cock birds which he lost, one when they fell through some tree's and parted company on the way down and one where he flew it from a small wood towards a thick bramble patch in the corner of the field some 90 meters away, he hit the Cock just as he made cover falling through the Bramble to the floor, I could see them struggling but had so much clay stuck to my feet that I was running in slow motion, just as I got to them the Pheasant got through the fence and dragged him off! We were both gutted. The Mallard was a good effort with 5 flushing from a small pond, it was a long slip but Spike managed to get right amongst them but failed to make his choice quickly enough, this just gave them time to turn into the wind and just start to pull a gap on him, good effort all the same. The Cock bird he did catch was from a point in a reedy ditch, the Cock flushed low going with the wind, Spike bound to him after around 40 meters where they hit the floor, he only had its rear end when they bounced on contact with the ground he lost his grip. Off they went again with the Cock Bird heading for a Hawthorn thicket on the other side of a pond, Spike managed to take him just as they entered cover. Another much needed result.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0484.jpg (58.0 KB, 92 views)
Old 02-01-2018, 08:33 PM
Passage

Well done Steve, good right up. A kill works wonders for morale. Happy New Year mate. All the best Chris
Old 02-01-2018, 09:26 PM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Thanks Chris, same to you. Hopefully have a few more days out before the end of the game season, although the weather is looking pretty grim for a few days.
Old 30-01-2018, 10:29 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

We are still getting out as and when we can, but to be honest the weather we have had since Christmas has been pretty dreadful with Gales and heavy rain making most of the ground we go on pretty tough as it's very open and the soil is heavy clay so good for my fitness if nothing else. When we have managed an outing Spike has still flown pretty well. This Saturday gone was one such outing with more rain and strong winds but we went anyway. First slip was a Cock Pheasant which was a late slip as I did not see or hear it flush. Second slip was in a large wood of mainly Birch and Beech tree's, the Cock bird flushed and headed out of the wood and into the wind, Spike dropped real low and it was great to see him skimming through the wood, I could see the Pheasant turning back into the wood and Spike was on collision course. When I found him he was deep in the wood up a very tall Beech tree, just as I attempted to re-call him a woodcock flushed at my feet, Spike was off again from his lofty perch and really turned the speed on after the fleeing Woodcock. I once again tracked him deeper into the woodland and once again found him around 60 feet up in a Beech Tree, as I was re-calling him he was head bobbing and looking straight past me, just as the Dog brushed past some Brambles two Cock Pheasants and a Hen exploded from the cover, The Hen was last out and as they headed for the open fields Spike was off in pursuit, although not ideal from a Tree the flight was superb to watch with Spike catching up to the Hen at warp speed taking her out of the air around 30 feet up before dropping into the field with her As it was blowing and increasingly wet I decided to call it a day. A couple of pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0503.jpg (82.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0507.jpg (62.1 KB, 55 views)
Old 30-01-2018, 12:30 PM
Harold James II
Passage

Sounds a cracker of a flight mate and any hunt you return home with a safe healthy hawk is that much better
Old 30-01-2018, 01:04 PM
Banned
Brancher

Alright Stevo,
Glad your getting some flights in at the pheasants,any rabbits about ?

How is Ade getting on? Still suffing his face I bet I spoke to him at Christmas and his foot sounded pretty bad from when he fell in that hole over here.

I finished my season at Christmas and put the peregrines in the pen early and all is looking very good with them,my ground is bubbling with ducks and the partridges are still in good numbers but most are paired so hopefully some young for next season.

Still got four freaky fowl left for when you come over again in October !!

My regards to Ade and l will give you a bell soon.

ATB
Steve
Old 30-01-2018, 05:19 PM
Passage

Nice one Steve, the weather is terrible down here too, Wind and rain is relentless. Good luck with the remainder of your season. All the best Chris