Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 23-01-2018, 01:35 PM
Harold James II
Passage

Default Pure Finish male gos

I'm certain this had been beat to death like a dead horse but figured why not lol gives up something to discuss and it's a thread on the forum. So I will be picking up a pure finish male gos next week and just for the conversation I thought I'd ask on here what's your males flying at. No I'm not trying to use this information to find his weight or no such thing. He's a imprint hatch was 2017 hard penned at 28oz
Old 23-01-2018, 03:22 PM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Default Re: Pure Finish male gos

Hi Harold, I fly a 2009 Male Imprint Finish Goshawk and his best Hunting weight is 840gr Steve.
Old 23-01-2018, 06:24 PM
Harold James II
Passage

Thanks Steve I'll be trying to get this boy going on feather he's not a clean slate bird he is coming to me with issues I'll have to try and work out
Old 23-01-2018, 10:25 PM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisHawkMan_79 View Post
Thanks Steve I'll be trying to get this boy going on feather he's not a clean slate bird he is coming to me with issues I'll have to try and work out
Of course he has issues Harold, he’s an Imprint Gos
Old 23-01-2018, 11:04 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Hawker View Post
Of course he has issues Harold, he’s an Imprint Gos
Lol,good last pure finish male I flew, Flew at 1lb 11.5oz, he would go up to 1lb 12 1/2 ounces, but would then get choosey on cockbirds. Fantastic male though, was imprinted but had the manners of a Harris hawk.
Kind regards Chris
Old 24-01-2018, 07:32 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Hi Harold, What is the History of the bird, and what issues does he have? If he is still with the original imprinter the issues will probably be much reduced simply swapping owner as long as he has been entered and done some hunting.
Old 24-01-2018, 09:35 AM
Passage

I agree Steve a lot of the issues do seem to subside with a change of owner, I do think all imprint accipiters have the potential to have issues. I do appreciate I'm preaching to the converted. Mine for instance has been perfectly mannered and flown like a Demon all winter, but now I am feeding him up he has turned into the usual bad tempered screaming imprint of Goshawk, which will obviously subside once he has put some weight back on. I always find it takes a few weeks to Feed them up. I do think imprint accipiters thrive on routine and if flown daily or every other day according to how you like to do it they become calm and well mannered. I think most of these so-called Mal imprints are retrievable they just need flying hard and some routine in their lives. When trying to fly goshawks well it is very easy as long as the weather, work commitments and family commitments do not collide. I think we would all have the best goshawks in the world if the weather was constantly good and we had time to fly them regularly. As you know when you miss a couple of days you have to feed them less to keep them on flying weight or appetite to hunt then they get badtempered due to being hungry start losing their fitness which in turn leads to bad manners, I appreciate you know all this already, just talking out loud for those that don't
Kind regards Chris
Old 24-01-2018, 11:22 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSquance View Post
I agree Steve a lot of the issues do seem to subside with a change of owner, I do think all imprint accipiters have the potential to have issues. I do appreciate I'm preaching to the converted. Mine for instance has been perfectly mannered and flown like a Demon all winter, but now I am feeding him up he has turned into the usual bad tempered screaming imprint of Goshawk, which will obviously subside once he has put some weight back on. I always find it takes a few weeks to Feed them up. I do think imprint accipiters thrive on routine and if flown daily or every other day according to how you like to do it they become calm and well mannered. I think most of these so-called Mal imprints are retrievable they just need flying hard and some routine in their lives. When trying to fly goshawks well it is very easy as long as the weather, work commitments and family commitments do not collide. I think we would all have the best goshawks in the world if the weather was constantly good and we had time to fly them regularly. As you know when you miss a couple of days you have to feed them less to keep them on flying weight or appetite to hunt then they get badtempered due to being hungry start losing their fitness which in turn leads to bad manners, I appreciate you know all this already, just talking out loud for those that don't
Kind regards Chris
Your not wrong Chris, where I keep, exercise and feed my Gos at work he can be a right Nob head around food time, but when in the Hunting field he is lovely to handle not a peep out of him and lovely manners, I also find if mine is slightly over weight he is more noisy and aggressive than when on weight. It has been hard going for us this season with game numbers and weather, I have only been out twice in the last two weeks as it's either pouring with rain or blowing 50mph like today. And with that few days afield his behaviour is not the best Still I am holding out for a couple more weeks as I have some days on keepered land coming up which I am looking forward to.
Old 24-01-2018, 01:06 PM
Harold James II
Passage

Hey y'all
I've not seen or touched the hawk yet
It's all been hear say from the original owner that yes did the imprinting. But from what I've been told the hawk and owner just not working out. The hawk is one minute hot next cold you could say. No aggressive behavior so I've been told. The hawk has not caught wild game but has caught live baggies all legal here. Truth be told I totally believe that change of owner will make a difference. I guess the bird will chase hard one minute and not the next could be weight. Again o don't have the bird and I'm super glad to be getting him
Old 31-01-2018, 06:02 PM
Harold James II
Passage

So it's getting close to pick up date the original owner was in no hurry to ship him after he received the payment and drug his feet. The flight is booked and Dexter we be here Saturday morning at 10am. And one in hand I'll start to work him to discover how deep his problems go. The stories are confirming my thoughts that it's a lack of fly time and Manning. The weight he have me is hard penned at 800g which still seems small for a pure fin gos but size don't mean nothing it's about heart and confidence. I'm not going to pretend I have it figured out or even if I'm certain I will get him going. But I know I'll give him a fighting chance