Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Members Birds Diaries, Logs and Journals!

Old 13-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Brancher

Default Re: "Sioux" Socially Imprinted Male Goshawk

Guys I am not about try and emulate Keith's excellent posts I just don't have his flair. So all I'm going to do is post how well or not Sioux is doing.

4/11/11 1lb. 6 3/4 oz
Went out with my mate Davy to do some rabbiting with Sioux over ferrets just to see how he would perform. He had done the 'biz' with the blackstuff and we both wanted to see how well he would work with my ferrets and of course fly the bunnies.
This was my first visit of the season to this particular permission and having had a very lean time on it last year I wasn't too sure what to expect. With telemetry and ferret collars checked and attached to the appropriate body part, we set of to do the first hedgerow.
First hole drew a blank, second hole less than 50 yards on saw the first bolter of the day. Sioux left my fist with determination and gained on the rabbit quickly, unfortunately the rabbit ran under a gate just as Sioux was coming into the critical strike range which forced him up and over which seemed to put him completely of. He overflew the rabbit, landed on a fence post 25 or so yards ahead and just watched the rabbit run in a very unconcerned fashion towards and past him. Davy and I looked at each other in amazement and I thought to myself, it was going to be one of those days.
I got Sioux back on the glove and we moved on to the next field. Hole no. 3 took a bit of time to produce a rabbit out into the open and it was a very reluctant at that . This time Sioux took the initiative and caught his rabbit without a great deal of fuss. No fancy flying or wing-overs just a determination to catch (just what this rookie needed for confidence building). I was going to feed him up on this kill but I think Sioux had already decided he wanted more after the merest of mouthfuls. He conveyed this by the ease with which he traded off via the lure then the jump up to the glove. The next hole was a blank as was the one following. On the way to hole no 6 I kicked a rabbit up literally at my feet but by the time I managed to get my brain in gear, bugs bunny had gained a fair head start. Sioux gave chase but again was thwarted by a gate (the round barred type with very narrow gaps at low level - handy for climbing over but not so handy for flying through). The next few holes only produced short bolts between adjacent holes that didn't give the bird a chance. At this point we decided to work our way back to the car as we already had a good couple of hours and I didn't want to push things with Sioux on only his second outing. On the way back we came upon a small section of 'whins' just set of the main fence line forming a sort of gully. Davy decided to do his spaniel impression and knocked his way through the whins with the aid of his ferreting spade. Much to my surprise ( but not his) within seconds I heard something then seen a bundle of fur race down the gully. Sioux was away up over the fence and down through the gully before I could blink and then there was the tell-tale squeal. I ran to the nearest clearing where I could cross the fence and found Sioux on his prize - a smallish rabbit. When the rabbit was dispatched Sioux was given a good cropfull for his efforts and the day ended with a satisfied Goss and two very satisfied old codgers. (Sorry but haven’t managed to get the couple of photos I took out of Davy’s Model T mobile:lol)

10/11/11 1lb. 6 ¾ oz
Took Sioux in the car (boxed) on my own looking for ‘crows’. I drove round a fair bit and while there were plenty about I just couldn’t find any feeding in a spot where I could safely park the car within a reasonable distance. Obviously a bit more scouting required on my part and a slight hardening of the weather wouldn’t go amiss either. Anyway I finished the outing with a recall practice both to the glove and lure. While his response was good it was not outstanding so I will be hoping to improve on this with each outing.

12/11/11 1lb 7 oz
Met up with Davy again to go ferreting with Sioux. I decided to give the same farm another go to confirm that last weeks rabbits weren’t just a flash in the pan.
While the weather was fine and sunny following very heavy rain the day before the ground underfoot was very wet. When everything and everybody was geared up we headed off. The first hole was about 500 yards from the car which provided a nice leisurely dander in the mid morning sun. My little jill ferret was slipped into the hole but soon returned. Nothing doing there by the looks of it. Hole number two was literally within spitting distance so the ferret was simply carried by hand and placed at its mouth. This time she stayed down and after a few minutes we had our first bolt, Sioux burst off my glove and had the rabbit “balled” in no time flat. I dispatched the rabbit and let him pluck at it for a minute or two then traded him to the lure and glove. We moved on and as we did we saw a lot of rabbits above ground all making for high ground with heavy cover as soon as we got anywhere near them. Sioux got one distance slip at a rabbit sitting out but had just a bit too much ground to make up before the rabbit reached the safety of cover. We ferreted three or four more holes without any results, coming to the conclusion that the rabbits were laying out because of the waterlogged ground. So we called it a day – not anywhere near as good as last week but Sioux got a rabbit and he would get a good feed of rabbit meat when I got home. – managed to get a pic on my mobile of Sioux on his rabbit
Old 13-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Ross Ricken
Haggard

Looking good mal,nice read and pic,hes looking well keep him at it
Old 14-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Haggard

Good write up Malcolm,
sounds like you are getting the goshawk bug.
Keith
Old 14-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Brancher

Thanks guys. Keith you could be right about that bug thing:lol
In all honesty it is a different kind of hawking, I suppose you either love it or leave it.
I know that I have been very fortunate to acquire such a well made 'bird' and that in itself is making it relatively easy to make the transition.
Cheers
M
Old 14-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Passage

Aye good write up mal, good going too. keep it coming and good luck

Old 14-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Brancher

Thank you Chris.
Cheers
Malcolm