Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 17-12-2017, 06:00 PM
Brancher

Default Re: 'Barrabas' - Vernon Brown bred Imprint Male Goshawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUsHilarius View Post
These bits of film by Keith are great! Headcam is undoubtedly most hassle free option, but its wide angle is best suited to close work. I think a snipe would quickly become a very small dot indeed. An SLR is not a good tool for the job, especially if you are an active participant in the hawking, and one of its great advantages in taking still photographs, its shallow depth of field, makes it difficult to get video which is in focus. Size and weight are awkward too. Something between these two options is a camcorder with red dot sight attached. The small sensor in a camcorder gives a great depth of field so that focus is good from 50 yards all the way through to 500 yards if the light is good. And using the zoom at between 5x and 12x the action a little way off can be caught well. Look at the depth of focus in the first and last parts of this clip. (Middle parts are edited footage from a second video camera.. I use two, second one on a higher zoom).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k1v...ew?usp=sharing

My priority in all my flights is fulfilling my essential obligation...a timely flush...and the moment that happens I'm free to try for some video. Camera is set up in advance and I get it out after casting off, have it in my hand as I run to flush, and line up the red dot and press record once the partridges are on their way. Red dot sight has no magnification so flights are observed with both eyes open. I find it doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of my flights...and the film often reveals much that is not seen at the time in that blink of an eye!
Shwmae Paul ,great to watch that bit of film there, slow motion reveals alot of things we miss. I did some filming with an iphone on slow mo didnt realise how close the dog was to chomping the snipe.Thanks for that sound advise also, hopefully the man in the red hat will drop one off for me christmas day . Tony You ca have your thread back now Keith
Old 17-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Paul MacDermot
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Shwmae Paul ,great to watch that bit of film there, slow motion reveals alot of things we miss. I did some filming with an iphone on slow mo didnt realise how close the dog was to chomping the snipe.Thanks for that sound advise also, hopefully the man in the red hat will drop one off for me christmas day . Tony You ca have your thread back now Keith
Thanks Tony. If I can help either of you set up the red dot sight on your cameras I'd be happy to do so.
And here is one more video which reveals something which at the time I never realized had happened, a pheasant doing a barrel roll:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx9...ew?usp=sharing
Now you can have the thread back!
Old 17-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Thanks Tony. If I can help either of you set up the red dot sight on your cameras I'd be happy to do so.
And here is one more video which reveals something which at the time I never realized had happened, a pheasant doing a barrel roll:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx9...ew?usp=sharing
Now you can have the thread back!
Wow thats a brilliant clip of film, never realised they did that . While we're on the subject, a couple of seasons ago i saw a snipe hover,,,,,, humming bird style causing the tiercel to over shoot it in the stoop , could n;t believe it . sorry Keith im off . Tony
Old 18-12-2017, 10:16 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Nice flight footage there Keith, I'm glad Barrabas has recovered from whatever was ailing him. Steve.
Old 14-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Paul MacDermot
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Barker View Post
Hello Paul,
I am thinking of treating myself to a camera like eric uses, but i wonder if i can operate it one handed with the gos on the fist waiting to slip, its ok with a high mounted falcon concentrating on the screen or red dot you have two hands, would i get away with it with hawk on the fist?
Keith
It can be done! Some great footage taken by the austringer himself:

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4d-...&feature=share
Old 15-02-2018, 10:00 AM
Haggard

Quote:
It can be done! Some great footage taken by the austringer himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4d-...&feature=share
Hello Paul,
What camera is paul using?