Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > NON FALCONRY TOPICS > Photography, Equipment, Reviews & Tutorials

Old 17-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Johnny Brine
Passage

Default Wireless/ wired IP Cameras

Are any of my Falconryfriends technically minded when it comes to IP Cameras? Here goes:
I have 3 IP cameras all connected by intranet cable to my wifi router & I view them all wirelessly through my laptop, but I've been told this use a lot of bandwidth & slows my computer network down. Is there any way I can bypass the router & connect direct to my spare laptop, therefore not going wireless?
Old 18-03-2016, 07:58 PM
David
Brancher

Default Re: Wireless/ wired IP Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perebrine View Post
Are any of my Falconryfriends technically minded when it comes to IP Cameras? Here goes:
I have 3 IP cameras all connected by intranet cable to my wifi router & I view them all wirelessly through my laptop, but I've been told this use a lot of bandwidth & slows my computer network down. Is there any way I can bypass the router & connect direct to my spare laptop, therefore not going wireless?
Hello Johnny
Sounds similar to my setup.
I've connected my laptop to the router with another intranet cable and don't have an issue at all.
KR
Old 19-03-2016, 11:27 AM
Johnny Brine
Passage

Default Re: Wireless/ wired IP Cameras

I did a bit of research & asked a few questions here & there.
Apparently the IP Camera's won't make any difference to the speed of your internet. I was told to run a speed test of my internet (Which is free & easily done online) then try it with the cameras powered off, I tried it & it made hardly any difference worth worrying about. In the meantime I decided to get a new laptop as mine was 8 years old & still on Vista, so now my son has set things up for me & everything works very well.
I had a spare wifi router, so my son connected the 3 cameras to one router & connected both routers with a cable, I use my old laptop from one router for solely viewing the cameras & my new laptop runs off the other router.