Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > Falconry Quarry & All Things Historical

Old 02-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Steven
Haggard

Default Re: Released Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben C View Post
Keep talking......I have just wet my pants....

PS...not a word of a lie.......we also have a pure white one. I have seen it a few times.....but its un-likely we will see it let alone **** it outta the air mate!
Twatting them out the air, is something I hope to see coming on this year, shes brought a few down, but these havent been the long haul flights, I've no idea how these ended.

Hope the white guy makes it through, used to see one 2 or 3 times a week a couple of years a go (out of season) but he just disappeared come the back end of the summer, no dont down to Charlie, looked ####in huge, no idea if its just as it was always the end of the day and fading light and him being white he looked bigger or not, seemed to have a tail like a 18 hand stallion

Steve.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Haggard

I won't be releasing any crows or geese on the golf courses. No. As for the pheasant, I am welcomed with open arms by the farmers who love to spite the shoots on their boundaries.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:14 PM
Terry
Passage

Hello

Please may I ask if anyone sees released Redleg Partridges breeding naturally on their land ?

I never seem to see any poults around here in autumn.

Thank you

Regards

Terry
Old 08-03-2017, 06:02 AM
Brancher

Hi Terry

There were red legs breeding behind my house last year. I saw the poults grow up to a good size. I think they are released birds, but not 100%.

I hope they are there this year
Old 08-03-2017, 06:32 AM
Passage

The released red legged partridge here in Devon will breed naturally in the world, there are always a few wild broods every year, not loads considering how many they release, but always a few pairs .atb Chris
Old 08-03-2017, 08:11 AM
Matthew
Passage

This might be a stupid question but has anyone ever known greys and red legs to hybridise?
Old 08-03-2017, 07:55 PM
Terry
Passage

Thank you for your responses.

I have found Redleg nests with eggs in them, and I once saw a hen crossing a track with three very small young just a week old I guess, so the siblings must have already perished very early on.

But I never see poults in autumn.

The pheasants seem to breed very well here in salt marsh/arable land, I've seen hens with 6-8 large poults in tow in August/September

I'd like to know more about Redlegs ecology in Britain - but my Google'd findings are quite basic. If anyone knows of any detailed scientific information I'd be grateful to for some help of where to find it.

The general consensus is that after generations of electronic hatching and rearing they have lost the ability to successfully incubate and rear young naturally.

Regards

Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
Hi Terry

There were red legs breeding behind my house last year. I saw the poults grow up to a good size. I think they are released birds, but not 100%.

I hope they are there this year
That's nice to hear. Did you notice how many young were in the successful families ?

Regards

Terry
Old 08-03-2017, 08:46 PM
Passage

Have you tried looking for information with the game Conservancy Terry?, or maybe the NGO. I think there is some truth to the fact that they have lost their natural ability to breed somewhat, if you are intending to release some the best way to do it is the old fashion way by hatching and rearing them under broody bantams.atb Chris
Old 09-03-2017, 07:55 AM
Brancher

It seemed to be just the one family settle on a strip of rough grass land, maybe half a dozen or so chicks at first. Last I saw, maybe 3-4 poults made it to a good size, which is pretty good, when you consider the buzzards, martens & fox etc out the back here.....

Atb
Old 25-03-2017, 05:20 PM
Dave Cross
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Hello

Please may I ask if anyone sees released Redleg Partridges breeding naturally on their land ?

I never seem to see any poults around here in autumn.

Thank you

Regards

Terry
I generally see small coveys of Red legged Partridges after the crops have been harvested and before poult's are usually released. Have been noticing that the small coveys left over from the season have now split up into pairs.

[QUOTE=TerryS;2153032]Thank you for your responses.

I have found Redleg nests with eggs in them, and I once saw a hen crossing a track with three very small young just a week old I guess, so the siblings must have already perished very early on.

But I never see poults in autumn.

The pheasants seem to breed very well here in salt marsh/arable land, I've seen hens with 6-8 large poults in tow in August/September

I'd like to know more about Redlegs ecology in Britain - but my Google'd findings are quite basic. If anyone knows of any detailed scientific information I'd be grateful to for some help of where to find it.

The general consensus is that after generations of electronic hatching and rearing they have lost the ability to successfully incubate and rear young naturally.

Regards

Terry

I don't really believe that, but think that the conditions in the uk are not as suitable for them as the environment of their country of origin.
Http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...63655709475876