Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Scotland

Old 18-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Egg

Default Newby (don't all hide please) Near Helensburgh - Looking for Mentor, advice et al

Hi Folks,
Another dreaded newby interested in pursuing Hawking...
Spent a few years admiring and 'nosying' into BOP, visiting displays, Centres etc... Now have resources and lifestyle to introduce a Raptor into my life... Currently building a sizable fight/aviary for possibly a Harris (or Red Tail). Still amidst a pile of texts on the subject of Falconry... However I always need sooooo much detail, tend to live and breath my passions...

Looking for someone who can share their passion of Falconry/Hawking, easiest if not too far away from my end of the world, though I am happy to travel to catch up, be trained etc. Willing to pay for support, but am of modest means.

Ultimately... Advice on reputable breeder or imprint/non imprint beginners bird appreciated. Would like to move from all this research I have been doing into a more practical mode...

Many thanks in anticipation

Norrie
Old 18-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Dylan Simpson
Passage

Default Re: Newby (don't all hide please) Near Helensburgh - Looking for Mentor, advice et al

Norrie
Definetly go for a parent reared bird not an imprint
Harris or red tail ?
Either could be best for you
Depends on land and quarry you have available ?
There is a few good centres near you
I'd ask there if they could find someone to mentor you
They will know the best austringers around
Not sure if they breed there birds
Probably best to get a season done with a mentor before buying a bird anyway
Atb
Dylan
Old 18-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Dave
Haggard

Default Re: Newby (don't all hide please) Near Helensburgh - Looking for Mentor, advice et al

A very warm welcome Norrie. Good luck with your search.
Old 18-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Egg

MHH and David, Thank-you very much for your warm welcome and advice(MHH)

I look forward to any more replies since all advice is very much appreciated. Having read lots, I still realise that current practice and advice from active Falconers/Austringers is probably more valuable.

Please if anyone can hook me up with a potential mentor or just someone willing to have me tag along on a few hunts etc... I'll be most grateful (Strathclyde area pref but will travel if needs be). And if using a ferret, I'll dig em out if they decide to bidie in

Thanks folks!!!
Old 18-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Stewart Robertson
Haggard

Hi Norrie,

You are only 15 minutes away. Have you visited my place ? Come along and have a chat, kettle is always on.

Www.llbopc.co.uk

Atb, Stewart.
Old 18-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Dylan Simpson
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loch Lomond View Post
Hi Norrie,

You are only 15 minutes away. Have you visited my place ? Come along and have a chat, kettle is always on.

www.llbopc.co.uk

Atb, Stewart.
Was waiting for you to post Stewart !
Sure you can point him in the right direction
Old 19-04-2013, 12:29 AM
Egg

Hi Stewart,
I've been to LLBPC a few times and a hawk walk courtesy of your goodselves was what finally made me realise that I wanted to get into Falconry.... Your genuine enthusiasm was so relaxing, time pressures were not evident even though you run the Centre as well as accommodate such as I on Hawk Walks etc.

I have read tomes and spent a lot of time surfing for info, watched YouTube till they are now mostly repeats lol....

However as said in my initial speel.. I need to talk to talk further to someone who can take me to the next level....

Welfare of the bird is paramount so have more detailed questions to ask and experience to gain to build my readiness for taking on such a commitment....

I never pursued approaching you simply because, I thought you had too much on your plate running what is a fantastic BOP Centre.

However, I will take you up on your kind offer of a chat and emptying some boiling water out of that kettle....

Be in touch...

KR

Norrie
Old 19-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Stewart Robertson
Haggard

Hi Norrie,

It was good to talk to you this morning. It is clear that you have given the subject a lot of thought and aren't jumping in. You should have said something when you were in the last time, I can always find time for someone who is genuinely interested in doing things the right way.

I look forward to seeing you soon, I'm sure we'll manage to work something out,

Regards,
Stewart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHH View Post
Was waiting for you to post Stewart !
Sure you can point him in the right direction
Thanks for the vote of confidence Dylan,

Atb,
Old 22-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Egg

Hi Stewart,
Am looking to pop up this Sunday coming... IF convenient, have a pile of jobs ready too, experiential learning I call it

KR

Norrie
Old 22-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TartanRaptor View Post
Hi Folks,
Another dreaded newby interested in pursuing Hawking...
Spent a few years admiring and 'nosying' into BOP, visiting displays, Centres etc... Now have resources and lifestyle to introduce a Raptor into my life... Currently building a sizable fight/aviary for possibly a Harris (or Red Tail). Still amidst a pile of texts on the subject of Falconry... However I always need sooooo much detail, tend to live and breath my passions...

Looking for someone who can share their passion of Falconry/Hawking, easiest if not too far away from my end of the world, though I am happy to travel to catch up, be trained etc. Willing to pay for support, but am of modest means.

Ultimately... Advice on reputable breeder or imprint/non imprint beginners bird appreciated. Would like to move from all this research I have been doing into a more practical mode...

Many thanks in anticipation

Norrie
Dreaded only when they are not prepared and just go and buy a hawk on a whim.

Stew is a top bloke Im sure he will point you down the correct path. He has a weakness for Red wine.

Atb
Dean