Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Scotland

Old 24-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Jannes Kruger
Haggard

Default Re: How best to determine your hawks flying weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
Why? Perhaps because you know no better?
Double "Like"
Old 24-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
Condition is all it is. I agree.

How do you judge condition? Is a fat bird in a good hunting condition? You are looking for maximum endurance, maximum strength, maximum motivation. Strength and endurance means you should train a bird aerobically and anaerobically. It gets complicated. These things are not achieved by flying fat birds. Neither are they achieved by flying lean ones.

One has to train a bird to achieve optimum hunting performance. You cant train fat or thin birds effectively. The scale is a final confirmation of condition after you have determined it by the bird's behaviour and keel.

Birds are like boxers. There is an ideal fighting weight for each one.

Rgds
Jannes
I agree entirely to a point in this post mate. Your right. However, there is more to it all than just that.

eg. Weather man says minus 1 tonight. Bird flew well, fed quail but had been on rabbit all week. Weather man was wrong. Quite warm considering through the night. Day after scales read correct weight. "keel felt good too " bird flys like a sack of sh ite... Why??
Old 24-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qassim View Post
Perfect answer to me... I'd like to add : determining the flying weight can only be done by behaviour/responses observation, thus you really need to know the right interpretation of bird's behaviour and cross it with a given weight... not all have to do with body weight as they are not mechanics.
A mentor is crucial in teaching right interpretations and to point out where to look and what to observe... Attending other falconers flights and seeing as many hawks as possible helps too... The weight can have big variations according to seasons. Some birds will fly/hunt full weight in some cases being the exception to the rule.
Some believe by diminishing full weight with a 15 % or 20 % weight loss rule, could be true but it depends mosltly on each individual.
To answer the thread question in few words : by observing/interpreting bird's behaviour !
If Falconry is really an Art, you get the gift by intuition ! And you get this intuition by a mentor !
Cheers, hope I didn't say too many things wrong here.
Salam.

"I'd like to add : determining the flying weight can only be done by behaviour/responses observation, thus you really need to know the right interpretation of bird's behaviour and cross it with a given weight... not all have to do with body weight as they are not mechanics".

I agree with that to the extent that I prefer not to weigh any hawk until she's performing as I want her to. Once she's flying well, I weigh her for reference, and then forget about the scales for a while longer, as they can be a distraction.
Far too many falconers have reduced the art to nothing more than 'weight control'.

And you were worried that you might have said something wrong?

Best wishes,

Tony.
Old 24-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Jannes Kruger
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
I agree entirely to a point in this post mate. Your right. However, there is more to it all than just that.

eg. Weather man says minus 1 tonight. Bird flew well, fed quail but had been on rabbit all week. Weather man was wrong. Quite warm considering through the night. Day after scales read correct weight. "keel felt good too " bird flys like a sack of sh ite... Why??
100% Dean. Weather is a major factor! Appetite and motivation diminishes with heat. No arguments from me.

I see it even more that you guys maybe do. We fly display hawks all year round. I now have to tweak weights down that were working fine in winter, even though the birds are moulting.
Old 24-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Haggard

Quote:
100% Dean. Weather is a major factor! Appetite and motivation diminishes with heat. No arguments from me.
Its great on here int it pal.

Kind regards
Dean
Old 24-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Jannes Kruger
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Its great on here int it pal.

Kind regards
Dean
Where are we again?

Aaaah! The moult. I guess Dean...
Old 24-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Where are we again?

Aaaah! The moult. I guess Dean...
Exactly...
Old 24-04-2013, 08:52 PM
John formerly It's Alright Ma
Haggard

Quote:
Birds are like boxers. There is an ideal fighting weight for each one.
Good point (for once, lol), just as there is a basal metabolic rate, there is a basal weight. But even for the fly weight, there is a flier weight - yet the fly weight will never be able to be a heavy weight, even if he's the same height.

Am just trying to annoy you, to see if I can get an OFC thread dedicated to me

Oops, is that privileged?, hope Lee Coopster isn't looking, - he may insist on my removal from 'said' privileged group
Old 24-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Mohamed Qassim
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
"I'd like to add : determining the flying weight can only be done by behaviour/responses observation, thus you really need to know the right interpretation of bird's behaviour and cross it with a given weight... not all have to do with body weight as they are not mechanics".

I agree with that to the extent that I prefer not to weigh any hawk until she's performing as I want her to. Once she's flying well, I weigh her for reference, and then forget about the scales for a while longer, as they can be a distraction.
Far too many falconers have reduced the art to nothing more than 'weight control'.

And you were worried that you might have said something wrong?

Best wishes,

Tony.
You are then an Artist Tony... I know a few doing so and I always shared this way ! Measuring quality and quantity of food to give to reach the right performances (and weight) is part of the Art... Instinctive and Intuitive...
Powerfull Flights and accessory killing game is what talks best !
I am not worried anymore !
Old 24-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Haggard

You's boy make things WAY to complicated
If they're willing to hunt thats good enough for me I think repetition has a BIGGER impact than MANY think

Atb,Rab