Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Members Birds Diaries, Logs and Journals!

Old 19-10-2017, 01:40 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Default Re: Here's Archie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Hello Mick

Glad your back at it.

Maybe the incomplete moult is age related. Seems unusual if all other are unchanged. Bright pen and good feeding.

Don't suppose it will affect matters much with the flying and hunting with him.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please post all hunting exploits.

It's good honest falconry.

Regards Terry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneShac View Post
Great to see Archie back and ready for the season

Good luck and look forward to reading on his exploits this year
Thank you both, I'm looking forward to getting back out there.
Old 19-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMick View Post
Season 10:
I reclaimed Archie on the 7th October and confirmed my fear that he had not had a complete moult.
I have reviewed all my notes and do not really understand what I have done wrong but clearly I have not got it right.
He has manned down relatively quickly and should be off the creance Friday with a view to hunting sunday.
Thanks to Nigel who once again assisted me in getting him ready with new kit, cope and tailmount.

Rabbit numbers are looking poor but we have a few leads on new land and hopefully we can have a more challenging season for him.
Hi Mick,

I can see what you mean now. He doesn't look bad from the photo, are the non-moulted feathers still in reasonable condition or can you see yourself having to imp during the season? Hopefully it doesn't cause you any trouble. I'm glad that he has manned down nicely, hopefully you won't be long on the creance and you can get out there.

Best Wishes & Happy Hawking,

Bradley
Old 19-10-2017, 06:55 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post
Hi Mick,

I can see what you mean now. He doesn't look bad from the photo, are the non-moulted feathers still in reasonable condition or can you see yourself having to imp during the season? Hopefully it doesn't cause you any trouble. I'm glad that he has manned down nicely, hopefully you won't be long on the creance and you can get out there.

Best Wishes & Happy Hawking,

Bradley
He has tipped 2 feathers in each wing during the moult, I don't think I need to imp at this point but will see how it all works out. will go free tomorrow providing the wind is not too bad with a plan to hunt sunday and possibly view a new permission.
Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

1lb 15 1/2oz today and went free with no problems.
A bit windy so took him to an unused horse paddock where the grass is knee deep, worked him along the tree lined edges and recalled out across the field.
He had one little detour when he broke out of the recall and over flew me to put in on a pheasant in the long grass, he made contact but could not hold he followed it off into the base of the hedge.
He was quickly panting and resting between recalls.

Will try same again tomorrow and look for some rabbits sunday and start to build some fitness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171020a.jpg (95.3 KB, 29 views)
Old Today, 03:14 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMick View Post
1lb 15 1/2oz today and went free with no problems.
A bit windy so took him to an unused horse paddock where the grass is knee deep, worked him along the tree lined edges and recalled out across the field.
He had one little detour when he broke out of the recall and over flew me to put in on a pheasant in the long grass, he made contact but could not hold he followed it off into the base of the hedge.
He was quickly panting and resting between recalls.

will try same again tomorrow and look for some rabbits sunday and start to build some fitness.
Hi Mick,

Nice to hear that Archie is up and about. It's a shame that Pheasant got away, would've been a good start to your season. It's re-assuring to hear that he's switched on to quarry at least. I'm sure he has some fat to burn off, how long do you think it will take before his fitness gets reasonable?

Kind Regards,

Bradley
Old Today, 03:59 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post
Hi Mick,

Nice to hear that Archie is up and about. It's a shame that Pheasant got away, would've been a good start to your season. It's re-assuring to hear that he's switched on to quarry at least. I'm sure he has some fat to burn off, how long do you think it will take before his fitness gets reasonable?

Kind Regards,

Bradley
Chasing quarry is the best way to get them fit, so if we can get some consistent action it will come. Taking him to new place tomorrow which has a mix of quarry hopefully it will work out and we can get permission.