Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > MEDICAL & HUSBANDRY > Hawk Food & Nutritional Needs

Old 30-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Passage

Default Re: Air rifle shot pigeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafCut View Post
You could use a small metal detector to check if there is any lead/fragments still in the bird. Alternatively use a none toxic .22 pellet such as the prometheous which is domed steel with a hard plastic skirt, hope this helps a little...Nick.
Nick would a metal detector pick up lead ? i shoot logun penetrator in my airarms 177 ,i find that they are accurate only to about 45 mtrs but at least i know there is no risk of lead poisoning ...carol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
Sean Marks been doing it for years without adverse affects,why not give him a ring, instead of starting a thread
Kevin mark did speak to shaun about lead pellets but he was quoteing what our mentor in bristol had sed about the slightest risk in feeding young goses with lead shot stuff .. mark has fed all the birds on head shot pigeons as you know (when he was alloud )but it was mentioned only about them in conversation ...carol x
Old 30-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Nick Pearson
Passage

Thumbs up Re: Air rifle shot pigeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quader.1 View Post
nick would a metal detector pick up lead ? i shoot logun penetrator in my airarms 177 ,i find that they are accurate only to about 45 mtrs but at least i know there is no risk of lead poisoning ...carol

kevin mark did speak to shaun about lead pellets but he was quoteing what our mentor in bristol had sed about the slightest risk in feeding young goses with lead shot stuff .. mark has fed all the birds on head shot pigeons as you know (when he was alloud )but it was mentioned only about them in conversation ...carol x
That would depend on the quality/setting of the detector, I am no expert but differing models have differing performance levels. There are some decent small hand helds on the marked but I would advise a little investigation first. "Buy cheap buy twice" so beware. If you use a high antimony (hardness) based pellet such as the crossman .177 instead of a softer type this would go some way to reducing lead pieces. Head shots on pigeons are tricky at the best of times. What I noticed using .20 cal crossmans-11.5ftlb was that the pellet 90% of the time gained full penetration (entry & exit wounds) heart/upper body shots, the down side of course was that most woodies flew off then most would drop 20 or so yards away. If your decoying them reduce the distance down to 35-40 yards-this will increase your penetration and accuracy. Basically lots of falconers feed game etc to their birds having been shot with lead projectiles, air rifle pellets are much easier to locate within the carcass as opposed the lead shot from shot guns. Good luck in your endeavours...Nick.