Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > NON FALCONRY TOPICS > Non Falconry, Hobbies, Congratulations & Artwork

Old 30-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Haggard

Default Pigeon Fancying being Taught in Schools!!!

Did anyone read this in yesterdays Mirror?

Http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...gsmead-1561176

If this takes off, it will help the pigeon men 'groom' these kids that raptors are evil and should be persicuted!!!
In one respect I agree, kids today should be taught about animals, birds etc. but on an even playing field. This to me is just a big boost for the pigeon fraternity to try and get more protection for their birds.
Old 31-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Passage

Default Re: Pigeon fancying being taught in schools!!!

they are doing it at my kids schools and obviously my kids understand hawks kill other birds,rabbits ect and they understand the heartache when a spar/peregrine takes your prize racing bird(my dad races them very sucessfully but also flys a pere tiercel ) so when they came home saying about the lollipop man starting the school up with pigeons i was thinking the same as you as i know the lollipop man hates raptors with a passion(kids was more botherd if they was going to beat grandad at races) but to my suprise the first summer they had them the peregrine took a few (i personally saw the female take 1 with great style when picking kids up) and spar hammerd them but he put the kids on the understanding that its nature and the birds of prey need to eat.personally i think he has to do it as a rule in the teaching of the sport but i was thinking to myself i bet that hurt him having to be nice about hawks
Old 31-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Kevin Riach - BFC Mid West region
Passage

Not all bad... some off the first birds that were my responsability as a 9yr old.. was a few pigeons my grandad got for me..I then progressed to help him with his Gloster canaries.. its a start for kids, and better than a PS!!
Old 31-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Mark Stone
Brancher

A school near me does it and they also do a falconry class I've been told.. You think there's a lot into falconry now? Give it 10 years and see how many of these young un's end up with a bird on their fist.!!!
Old 31-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Mark
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone42 View Post
A school near me does it and they also do a falconry class I've been told.. You think there's a lot into falconry now? Give it 10 years and see how many of these young un's end up with a bird on their fist.!!!
I live and work at a school with 850 kids , i was approached to do a after school lesson on falconry as enrichment for the kids i did decline
Old 31-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

I'm not sure which one my son loves more...his racing pigeons or when a wild falcon comes right through them and sends them in all directions!
Old 31-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Geoff
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
I'm not sure which one my son loves more...his racing pigeons or when a wild falcon comes right through them and sends them in all directions!
Lol....
Old 31-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Juan De Marcken
Passage

Well I started falconry just like that 8 years old in a pigeon fancier surrounding...
and some one told me ( bless him)just that "about that nasty peregrine falcon capable of whiping out of the sky the fastest racing pigeon ever to exist .....
I instantly fell in love with peregrine falcons and it has remain so since , actually worsening every day a bit more ....

I 've been doing some visits at school once introducing a harris to 7 years old kids, at the end of the talk the teacher had to opposed vehemently the release of the pet rabbit ( a great moment I have to say )
Also introduce a group of boy scouts to "game hawking that is a saker peregrine at pigeons, it wasn't supposed to catch one but just did and what happen? just heard all the kids thrilled at the catch
proper education I call it .
Old 31-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Passage

Default Re: Pigeon Fancying being Taught in Schools!!!

I bet playstation and nintendo are going mad
Old 01-02-2013, 01:39 AM
Juan De Marcken
Passage

Default Re: Pigeon Fancying being Taught in Schools!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyFalcons View Post
i bet playstation and nintendo are going mad
I'm working on it