Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > Manning, Training & Fitness

Old 05-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Sam Rice
Passage

Default Re: Pigeon Hawking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Hi Sam, I hear what you're saying for sure - these excursions of mine I sense are folly, if nothing else on account of report from ages of more experience than I's, that says I'm otherwise foolish to think of this, and certainly not original in my thoughts either. But just as advances in, say telemetry, have enabled game hawking in more enclosed country, then as a daft thrill seeker , I wonder if I am missing out by not taking my chances. Still, I won't think of it likely, and I don't, and I won't be expressing any success or otherwise as an advert for new forms of falconry. 'Cause they're not, I guess I'm simply improvising with flaws, if I can't correct them, I may still have a sight to see, if you know what I mean

All the best

Johny

ps. This is what he's doing now mate
He's learning his trade well then Johny, if your happy I'm happy, he will keep you on your toes mind.

ATB
Sam
Old 05-11-2013, 10:40 PM
John formerly It's Alright Ma
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
Hi Sam,

my falcon took her first woody after five seasons yesterday, and I know well enough to make it my business to avoid letting it happen again if I can help it.

A falcon with a real liking for woodpigeons where we live, won't last long.

Best wishes,

Tony.
Hi Tony, I know we've discussed this, but just for the record: would you ever contemplate deliberate flying of pigeons, and if so, under what circumstances?

Not teasing, genuine enquiry,

All the best

Johny
Old 05-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Sam Rice
Passage

Quote:
Hi Sam,

my falcon took her first woody after five seasons yesterday, and I know well enough to make it my business to avoid letting it happen again if I can help it.

A falcon with a real liking for woodpigeons where we live, won't last long.

Best wishes,

Tony.
Hi Tony to see any classy game hawk go sour on these is not nice and your right once wedded on them the clock is really ticking.

ATB
Sam
Old 05-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judd Casper View Post
He's learning his trade well then Johny, if your happy I'm happy, he will keep you on your toes mind.

ATB
Sam
lol, he is that already my friend, I suspect I am deficient in my wisdom , but you can't have it if you don't already. In truth, if I were asked, would I rather see him stoop a pigeon and take it, or a partridge?, I'd say I don't mind too much, but the pigeon is the harder, and so I'd be more pleased if I saw him manage this, I suppose. But that's putting aside all the problems, and probable inconveniences

All the best

Johny
Old 05-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Hi Tony, I know we've discussed this, but just for the record: would you ever contemplate deliberate flying of pigeons, and if so, under what circumstances?

Not teasing, genuine enquiry,

All the best

Johny
Hi Johny,

never say never, but in my circumstances, never At least not with a peregrine.

Pigeons really aren't as difficult as you'd imagine, and a fit peregrine, if it really wants to, can take them with relative ease.
But you'd be a fool to deliberately fly a peregrine (gamehawk) at pigeons, if you flew in an area with a good population of them, because there would always be a tantalising target over the next rise or wood, willing your falcon beyond your control, and beyond your flying ground.
For me there's no fun in simply tracking a falcon to the scene of the kill, and particularly so when it's beyond my boundary.

There are circumstances where I would fly a hawk at them, but it wouldn't be with a peregrine I'm afraid. At least not over country like mine.

Best wishes,

Tony.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Hi Johny,

Pigeons really aren't as difficult as you'd imagine, and a fit peregrine, if it really wants to, can take them with relative ease.
But you'd be a fool to deliberately fly a peregrine (gamehawk) at pigeons, if you flew in an area with a good population of them, because there would always be a tantalising target over the next rise or wood, willing your falcon beyond your control, and beyond your flying ground.
For me there's no fun in simply tracking a falcon to the scene of the kill, and particularly so when it's beyond my boundary.

There are circumstances where I would fly a hawk at them, but it wouldn't be with a peregrine I'm afraid. At least not over country like mine.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Is funny that Tony, as well the repeated mention of 'Vanderfalk', lol

You guys know better than me this foolishness, I'm just putting the milk out on the stoop,

All the best

Johny

Ps; I have had my share of crows hawks, and this I think has affected an open-minded-acceptance of these sort of days my friend, heart troubling and weary as they are,

Here's a wee shot or two of the wee rascal,

Old 06-11-2013, 04:25 AM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Quote:
Hi Johny,

Best wishes,

Tony.
'Willing your falcon beyond your control'.....the absolute crux of the matter and that's why they spell so much trouble and many falcons have been lost, shot (two of mine...and I've never deliberately flown at pigeons!!!) killing and feeding up at distance, nights out etc etc.

Too hard Johny, but if your hawk manages to take the odd one here or there, be sure to rob him of his prize and eat it yourself!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:57 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
be sure to rob him of his prize and eat it yourself!
That's the plan Mike, Woody cordon bleu here we come
Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Kevin Riach - BFC Mid West region
Passage

Charles Hawkins Fisher would be turning in his grave, at all that wasted sport! Ive never had a woodie killer.. but then Ive never had a cloud busting gamehawk either..350/400 ft seemed to be it on the ground I used to fly..wich on reflection now was acceptable in those days.. I did fly a few redlegs one year. and quickly realised these alone could give you a good pigeon hawk..without calculated setups..but I did witness some amazing flights at woodies, with my old Gyr/Merlin,, from a standing start! and realised that just like crowhawking, woodies are actually selectevely picked, by the falcon!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
'Willing your falcon beyond your control'.....the absolute crux of the matter !

Indeed Mike.