Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > EQUIPMENT & HOUSING > Telemetry & other Tracking Equipment

Old 01-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Default Re: GPS by Marshall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakDaggerTiercel View Post
Not as much as you Gerry
regards,
Nick
Fair question Nick - I've paid the best part of ú2000 (well Mastercard has) to upgrade from my 216 system. How much have you paid in order to be able to use the Microsensory system?

Gerry x
Old 01-07-2015, 09:53 PM
Nick Curry
Passage

Gerry,

I think Microsensory's prices are listed here somewhere. Think it was around 500 euros for transmitter. Xavier would tell you exactly.
I'm just testing the the transmitter with my Marshall receiver and smart phone. I'll Be getting the transmitter with the real time gps so if I choose to use Microsensorys receiver later on to get arrows on the screen, I can change to that.
That however isn't the attractiveness of gps for me, as the marshall uhf is great when you have a signal. Its useless if you dont and so by extension will be the gps, as marshall have said it is rougjly paralel with the radio signal in terms of range?

I'm not even too bothered how powerful the Microsensory radio signal is or isn't as I'm going to use it in conjunction with a Marshall transmitter anyway.
As I've said if my falcon is 'lost' and 5, 10, 50 or 100 miles away I should ( according to the sales speak for the Microsensory) be able to get a location whilst sitting on the sofa with a glass,of wine. It's then a simple task of getting up early and driving to the area and then letting Marshall radio take over. But the Microsensory would appear to set the net very wide to the point where it covers any eventuality. Even if the lost hawk is in a mobile black spot it is likely to move and hit a live spot at some point and get you a point on the map.
Priceless if it works. No reason to think it won't?
I know without even trying it that Marshall cannot work in the situations I expect the Microsensory to do the job.

The first test is a simple 50 mile test along the coastal plain almost to the Scottish border, with no line of sight but little in the way of contour.

Report to follow.

Nick
Old 01-07-2015, 10:14 PM
Brancher

Hi Nick,

I am looking forward to the results of your tests too.
And please also give your opinion about the strength of the radio signal.

About pricing, I think it would be a bit rude to give them here in this post, so please take a look at the Microsensory topic.

The only thing I can say is that if it is just to retrieve the bird out of radio signal with the gps and the phone, you do not need to buy the full model that Nick ordered, because this one also includes the real-time data through radio, and that there is a cheaper model which can perfectly fulfil your needs.

Nick, please do not forget you need cell phone coverage to get the loc out of radio signal.

Regards

Xavier
Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 PM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakDaggerTiercel View Post
Gerry,

I think Microsensory's prices are listed here somewhere. Think it was around 500 euros for transmitter. Xavier would tell you exactly.
I'm just testing the the transmitter with my Marshall receiver and smart phone. I'll Be getting the transmitter with the real time gps so if I choose to use Microsensorys receiver later on to get arrows on the screen, I can change to that.
That however isn't the attractiveness of gps for me, as the marshall uhf is great when you have a signal. Its useless if you dont and so by extension will be the gps, as marshall have said it is rougjly paralel with the radio signal in terms of range?

I'm not even too bothered how powerful the Microsensory radio signal is or isn't as I'm going to use it in conjunction with a Marshall transmitter anyway.
As I've said if my falcon is 'lost' and 5, 10, 50 or 100 miles away I should ( according to the sales speak for the Microsensory) be able to get a location whilst sitting on the sofa with a glass,of wine. It's then a simple task of getting up early and driving to the area and then letting Marshall radio take over. But the Microsensory would appear to set the net very wide to the point where it covers any eventuality. Even if the lost hawk is in a mobile black spot it is likely to move and hit a live spot at some point and get you a point on the map.
Priceless if it works. No reason to think it won't?
I know without even trying it that Marshall cannot work in the situations I expect the Microsensory to do the job.

The first test is a simple 50 mile test along the coastal plain almost to the Scottish border, with no line of sight but little in the way of contour.

Report to follow.

Nick
Well, it took me several hours of driving to all the high points north of Whitehaven along the coastal plain to even pick up a signal whilst tracking the earlier mentioned 'Miss Widdes' on one of her daily peregrinations. I only went north because of a howler of a south westerly and I figured she wouldn't have flown far into that.
I picked up the first signal with the mag-mount and earphones just the other side of Wigton (close to the Scottish border in peregrine terms) but by the time I could triangulate she was already moving south again and I tracked her all the way home.

With a definite location from any gps type of thing (if they'd existed back then), I could have driven straight there, and back again!

Xavier, if you're reading, forget the viber/whats app/Skype rubbish, I'll call you today in the normal way, I just can't work these things out
Old 01-07-2015, 10:36 PM
Brancher

Ok Michael, you can call me know if you want, I'm still awake for half an hour.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:06 PM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xamorel View Post
Ok Michael, you can call me know if you want, I'm still awake for half an hour.
Nice to chat. It all sounds great.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:07 AM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Nick, check your pm box