Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > EQUIPMENT & HOUSING > Telemetry & other Tracking Equipment

Old 06-09-2015, 07:14 PM
Passage

Default Re: Marshall RT-GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugezWolf View Post
Derry - yes and yes - genuine answer.

Gerry x
Am I misunderstanding something then because I thought you said that you only got 1/4 of a mile range using the standard antenna supplied with the pocket link, surely it should be could LPS (Local positioning system)?
It's a great reference to data relating to flights unquestionably but without the back up of traditional RT it can't stand alone as an advanced recovery tool but please do correct me, I want to be convinced. Atb
Old 06-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMc View Post
Thanx for that mate.looks the top kit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorMan1 View Post
Hi Gerry I saw it demonstrated yesterday at Jemima's it was very impressive,you are going to have some fun with it.What a piece of kit it adds a whole new dimension to hawking.
Absolutely lads. What the naysayers seem to be missing is that with this Marshall kit you are one step ahead so lost hawks will be a sign that you weren't properly monitoring the flight in the first place. I love it - same radio range as I have been getting for years with Marshall gear but with the added bonus of knowing exactly what is going on from the moment the hawk leaves the fist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshawk357 View Post
SUGEZWOLF, do you think it would look good on LUCKY
Actually I think Jay that this system would be a perfect recovery tool for shortwings so yes.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:25 PM
Passage

Quote:
What the naysayers seem to be missing is that with this Marshall kit you are one step ahead so lost hawks will be a sign that you weren't properly monitoring the flight in the first place.
Gerry x
Old 06-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry Shaw View Post
Am I misunderstanding something then because I thought you said that you only got 1/4 of a mile range using the standard antenna supplied with the pocket link, surely it should be could LPS (Local positioning system)?
It's a great reference to data relating to flights unquestionably but without the back up of traditional RT it can't stand alone as an advanced recovery tool but please do correct me, I want to be convinced. Atb
You may be Derry I don't know? The PocketLink w/ standard antenna gives you the data from the flight straight to your IOS device so you know what is going on and when to pull the plug on the flight and get into your vehicle to follow the hawk. Of course the range with a hawk in the air will be far more than you will get ground to ground so there will be no issues here. The High Gain Omni-Directional Antenna then comes into its own once you are inside the vehicle and are following the hawk.

Gerry x
Old 06-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Passage

There are many scenarios that could make a mess of that plan though Gerry.
Listen I don't doubt that this is a great bit of kit and definitely a step in the right direction, I'm not meaning to come across all negative. I trust Marshall 100% when it comes to refinement and reliable equipment. Let's not kid ourselves though that GPS data reliant on radio signals is an advancement in finding lost Hawks further than a few miles away, especially here in the UK.
Like I've said it's a great bit of kit and for a long winger who wants to study the data it's awesome.
If like me you want the reassurance of finding a lost hawk in the next county, well we have to go elsewhere or keep waiting.

Kind regards, Derry.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:20 PM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote:
There are many scenarios that could make a mess of that plan though Gerry.
Listen I don't doubt that this is a great bit of kit and definitely a step in the right direction, I'm not meaning to come across all negative. I trust Marshall 100% when it comes to refinement and reliable equipment. Let's not kid ourselves though that GPS data reliant on radio signals is an advancement in finding lost Hawks further than a few miles away, especially here in the UK.
Like I've said it's a great bit of kit and for a long winger who wants to study the data it's awesome.
If like me you want the reassurance of finding a lost hawk in the next county, well we have to go elsewhere or keep waiting.

Kind regards, Derry.
No problem Derry - you can strap a half-ender to your hawk if it floats your boat!

Gerry x
Old 06-09-2015, 08:30 PM
Passage

Quote:
No problem Derry - you can strap a half-ender to your hawk if it floats your boat!

Gerry x
I'm not sure what a half ender is Gerry but I'll assume it's something heavy and perhaps cumbersome if that's the case I'm not sure what your referring too?
I'd also consider it a bit rich coming from someone who loads a Falcons tail like you do Anyway all the best with your season Gerry.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:49 PM
Banned
Passage

Now now boys
Old 06-09-2015, 09:24 PM
Paul MacDermot
Passage

A fast motion replay of the live data from a Peregrinus Minor at the ICBP today. The falconer's position is a bit to the right of the orange dot. When the falcon starts making passes you will see where he was standing! X marks the spot.

Http://youtu.be/fN-neOaMqa8
Old 06-09-2015, 09:26 PM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote:
I'm not sure what a half ender is Gerry but I'll assume it's something heavy and perhaps cumbersome if that's the case I'm not sure what your referring too?
I'd also consider it a bit rich coming from someone who loads a Falcons tail like you do Anyway all the best with your season Gerry.
It's a half brick Derry. Do you really think that ⅝oz total weight on a 28Żoz peregrine (albeit all on the tail) is overloading? Also do you think that a half-fit falcon that can climb at a rate of 300ft per minute is showing any signs of being hampered by this ⅝oz?

Gerry x