Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > EQUIPMENT & HOUSING > Telemetry & other Tracking Equipment

Old 06-09-2015, 09:44 PM
Passage

Default Re: Marshall RT-GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugezWolf View Post
It's a half brick Derry. Do you really think that ⅝oz total weight on a 28½oz peregrine (albeit all on the tail) is overloading? Also do you think that a half-fit falcon that can climb at a rate of 300ft per minute is showing any signs of being hampered by this ⅝oz?

Gerry x
Gerry I make it 17.9g give or take going by Marshalls website, not including the bell. My half brick transmitter weighs 13g...
No I don't see her being hampered by it at all.

I'd also add that should my hawk decide to fly to the other side of the world. My 13g half a house brick would allow me to see what tree she is taking a rest in all from the comfort of my living room sofa.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:27 AM
Sam
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry Shaw View Post
Am I misunderstanding something then because I thought you said that you only got 1/4 of a mile range using the standard antenna supplied with the pocket link, surely it should be could LPS (Local positioning system)?
It's a great reference to data relating to flights unquestionably but without the back up of traditional RT it can't stand alone as an advanced recovery tool but please do correct me, I want to be convinced. Atb
It also has the traditional beep as well as the data stream.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:30 AM
Banned
Passage

Quote:
It's a half brick Derry. Do you really think that ⅝oz total weight on a 28½oz peregrine (albeit all on the tail) is overloading? Also do you think that a half-fit falcon that can climb at a rate of 300ft per minute is showing any signs of being hampered by this ⅝oz?

Gerry x
Gerry i always tail mount every hawk down to male harris.i would even justify yourself
Old 07-09-2015, 06:33 AM
Sam
Brancher

Quote:
Hi Folks - today I set out to test my new RT-GPS system off the hawk and was very impressed. I used my usual road route through houses and woodland so that it was comparable to all of my previous tests. Digital radio signal was equivalent to a 216Mhz Powermax as I got 6½ miles ground to ground which I was more than happy with. As for the GPS data I would say that use of a high-gain Omni-Directional Whip Antenna is imperitive as I got 1¾ miles ground to ground with it in use as the antenna for the PocketLink but only a ¼ mile with the short antenna supplied with the PocketLink.

Gerry x
Gerry,

Please could you post a screen print of the transmitter settings menu, I just want to check something.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:49 AM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaner View Post
Yep I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMc View Post
Gerry i always tail mount every hawk down to male harris.i would even justify yourself
How many Peregrines have you flown pulling nine G's out the bottom of a stoop?
Gerry's 17.9g converts to 5.68 oz in old money during this time, not including the bell.
Anyway it's not that I care, each to there own but if someone is going to accuse me of using half a house brick for a transmitter they should consider the facts first.
I'm not opposed to this kit, I may even buy it. I just bit on the fact that Gerry considered it a useful tool for finding a lost hawk even given the poor range he experienced, the end.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:01 AM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

It seems clear that there's not much point in comparing the Marshall system with the microsensory (or any other true GPS) because they are so different.

Both excellent no doubt, but one gives you loads of feedback and info about how the bird flew flight by flight, which is fantastic for those who want to know that information, whereas the other seems to be the one that would be more likely to assist in getting your hawk back if it did one.

I want both, I just wish they both worked for so much longer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaner View Post
But not for very long, I assume?
Old 07-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
It seems clear that there's not much point in comparing the Marshall system with the microsensory (or any other true GPS) because they are so different.

Both excellent no doubt, but one gives you loads of feedback and info about how the bird flew flight by flight, which is fantastic for those who want to know that information, whereas the other seems to be the one that would be more likely to assist in getting your hawk back if it did one.

I want both, I just wish they both worked for so much longer!
That's all I was trying to say Micheal.. Lol

Here's my transmitter telling you my path of travel to work this morning.
Https://www.google.com/maps/place/51...79,-0.0167,18z
Old 07-09-2015, 08:11 AM
Banned
Passage

Quote:
Yep I know.

How many Peregrines have you flown pulling nine G's out the bottom of a stoop?
Gerry's 17.9g converts to 5.68 oz in old money during this time, not including the bell.
Anyway it's not that I care, each to there own but if someone is going to accuse me of using half a house brick for a transmitter they should consider the facts first.
I'm not opposed to this kit, I may even buy it. I just bit on the fact that Gerry considered it a useful tool for finding a lost hawk even given the poor range he experienced, the end.
None butMy redtail pulls 10 g's on a stoop.....joke mate.i really dont know.i just tailmount but i dont fly falcons.atb
Old 07-09-2015, 08:19 AM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Quote:
That's all I was trying to say Micheal.. Lol

Here's my transmitter telling you my path of travel to work this morning.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/51...79,-0.0167,18z
So that was the Marshall I take it? Could you have got this information if you didn't have your data receiver with you and if you worked say 50 miles from home?....or was it just your tom tom LOL
Old 07-09-2015, 08:23 AM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMc View Post
None butMy redtail pulls 10 g's on a stoop.....joke mate.i really dont know.i just tailmount but i dont fly falcons.atb
I tail mount too, a transmitter. All 3.5g of it, no more no less. Atb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
So that was the Marshall I take it? Could you have got this information if you didn't have your data receiver with you and if you worked say 50 miles from home?....or was it just your tom tom LOL
Hi Micheal,

It wasn't my Tom Tom, the photo proves it.
I don't currently have the receiver (pending) the transmitter is sending me a text message to my smart phone. The text gives me altitude, coordinates, speed and battery power information.
It wouldn't matter if you had this transmitter in you hand 22000 miles away (give or take) in Australia I would still be able to tell you what field your stood in or what street your in.
I tell you what when my season is finished at the end of Febuary I'll send it out for you to have a go of. That is if you haven't got one by then. The solar powered one would surely be the way to go for you. Atb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (96.4 KB, 239 views)