Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > Manning, Training & Fitness

Old 29-07-2017, 11:46 AM
X-rated Ideology Advocate
Passage

Default Re: Too Quick to the Glove

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post

This is more what I was thinking. Not rewarding the bird if it flies to you as it will confuse it and not make that link between the raised garnished glove and the reward? It will think that if it flies to you, it will get something? Am I right in saying you feed the bird up on a bit of the Rabbit leg, take the rest away and then use it again repeatedly for recall?

Kind Regards,

Bradley
Correct Bradley. Just my preference as I never fed chick in the field and liked the hawk to have the kind of food whilst hunting that it might actually catch (used pheasant legs too). The leg always had fur or feather still on so I suppose it was in some ways a lure used on the glove!

It isn't a bad thing if the hawk returns to the ungarnished glove when hunting as this is also a reflection that the hawk sees you as a hunting partner and a positive perch for launching the hunt from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post
I'm not sure whether I'll get a hunting Hawk but digging has begun for the mews so possibly next year depending on how much time I have alongside college. My future is uncertain & I probably won't be able to do a hunting bird justice however I'll probably find myself getting an Owl of some sort.

Bradley
Bradley

Be patient and don't get a stop-gap. Continue volunteering, get out with falconers, and get a hunting hawk when the time is right.
Old 29-07-2017, 02:33 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaTeal'c View Post
Correct Bradley. Just my preference as I never fed chick in the field and liked the hawk to have the kind of food whilst hunting that it might actually catch (used pheasant legs too). The leg always had fur or feather still on so I suppose it was in some ways a lure used on the glove!

it isn't a bad thing if the hawk returns to the ungarnished glove when hunting as this is also a reflection that the hawk sees you as a hunting partner and a positive perch for launching the hunt from.

Bradley

Be patient and don't get a stop-gap. Continue volunteering, get out with falconers, and get a hunting hawk when the time is right.
What you're saying about using the tiring for a recall makes sense. It wasn't so much the fact that the Hawk should or should not fly to the glove, it was the rewarding it part I was mainly interested in. I can see how this would be a good sign both for the hunt and the bond with the bird.

As far as getting a bird goes. This is early preparations and those which can be halted at this stage. If I find that my college lifestyle doesn't allow for a bird, I won't get one (as tempting as it will be). If I did end up getting an Owl then I would intend to keep it for as long as possible, if the opportunity then came to get a hunting Hawk I would either keep it and get another bird or just stick with it. Either way, I would never jeopardise a bird. I completely appreciate what you're saying.

Kind Regards,

Bradley
Old 15-08-2017, 08:33 AM
Brancher

[QUOTE=BradazTheFalconer;2155183]Hi John,

It's great to hear from you. I know that Falcons are a whole new ball game in terms of training and flying methods so it's interesting for me to hear how you managed Kylo. Would you agree that Kylo is a lot different from Izzy in behaviour and training etc.?

Hi Bradley

Shaun has given by far the best explanation on here to your question reference calling to the glove.

Training my 2 the basics....No detail !
Manning wise is much the same but includes use of hood which I don't use on Izzy but probably should !
Falcon tries to bite a lot where as a new hawk may be footy (not Izzy mind ) !
Once on creance I only flew to around 15ft ish then flew to the lure which was different to what I'm used to !
Once flying free you have this kind of nervous feeling the whole time....
Will it ....Wont it !
Its good though , I like it and will continue to fly both birds to the best of my abilities.

Ref a thread.... I may do some notes or something just to try keep the forum alive but I wouldn't have either the time or enough happening to put in a full on thread......
Some days are good some very much not so !

Good luck for your exam results and due in 2 days after my boy Jacks 2nd birthday !

ATB
John155