Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo > Harris Hawks

Old 28-01-2017, 08:27 PM
Brancher

Default Re: Meet the new girl!

Yes this has been a good read Shane, hope you continue next season....
Old 28-01-2017, 09:49 PM
Shane
Brancher

Thanks guys. Have one more session tomorrow morning so hoping she goes out with a good session

Will tell you about it tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29-01-2017, 07:21 PM
Shane
Brancher

Well the season ended on a very high note.

Got to the cafe for the pre-hunt breakfast at 9am met my mate and his brother and headed for a field we hadn't walked for a couple of months

We walked the perimeter of the field on one side and Sharak had a good slip at a partridge early on but it pulled away and she abandoned.

We didnt see anything for a long while when whilst standing at the top of a hill Sharak took off after something, possibly a rabbit but stopped pumping her wings halfway down so we assume it must have jumped in the burrow. She landed on the ground at the foot off the hill when all of a sudden she took off like a bat out of hell. Never seen her flying so fast. We saw a kestrel flying about 20m ahead of her and she was gaining ground fast. Just before she made contact the kestrel banked hard and luckily got away but boy was it close

We walked a while longer and the hares were nowhere to be found. Sharak was flying at every bit of water she could find and i am guessing it is because she is in moult mode and probably wanted to get rid of some fluff. After she did it a few times i decided to let her get it over and done with so while she was splashing about in a small stream my mate continued walking. Sods law a hare took off in front of him and his harris had no chance as the hare ran uphill. Sharak didnt notice as she was too busy washing up. My mate still hadnt called his harris back when another hare took off about 10m away from the previous one. I ran to pick up Sharak and joined my mates in case there were more in this patch of ground

We walked slowly up a hill close to where the other 2 hares were and about 20m from the top another one jumped from its form close to my mate. His harris had a head start over Sharak but it gave up before reaching the top. Sharak continued pumping hard over the top. When i got to the top myself i saw Sharak wings half closed gaining on the hare. The hare swerved left but sharak stretched out and grabbed its rump. I was running full tilt as sharak was being slammed about by the hare when i saw my mates harris fly past me and slam into the hare. Not sure what happened but the hare was free and running again. Sharak picked herself up and recaught the hare this time with one talon and by the hares back foot. Again she took a pounding and again my mates harris got to the mix before i could get there and the hare got away. I was worried Sharak would be put off because she took some serious kicks but as soon as i collected her on the glove she was scanning the ground with more intent than ever

She seems to be submissive to my mates harris who is 2 years old and is getting scared when my mates harris arrives.

Was wondering whether we should take a turn each but thought we would give them one more chance to see if we could get them working as a cast

We walked a bit more and yet another hare ran but this time it was about 50m ahead and running uphill from the off. Sharak tried hard but gave up after 100m when the hare disappeared over the brow of the hill.

Called her back and continued walking. About 5min later between my mate and i i spotted a hare squatting in its form. Amazing how they hide in flat ground. I hadnt finished saying "there is a hare right here!" when it took off. Both harrises rocketed off behind it with Sharak having a much greater top speed and worried the hare may be lost in the squabble that would ensue i starter running as soon as Sharak left the fist. Happy i did that as Sharak slammed the hare and had it under control until the other harris got stuck in. There was a flurry of wings and feet but i dove in just in time and grabbed onto the hare

The harrises calmed down as soon as i dispatched the hare and whilst we were deciding how to get my mates harris off they started squabbling again and after exchanging a few blows she let Sharak have it.

After the major tussle with the previous hare and the effort she made to grab this one i decided to let her feed up and call the season officially over

My mate put up one more hare and she flew it well but they both disappeared over the top of a hill and she must have lost it on the way down

All in all a great day and super season. Its been a steep learning curve for Sharak and me and already looking forward to the improved hunting attitude after the first moult.

Will fatten her up now and will keep you posted on progress during the moult

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30-01-2017, 11:48 AM
Passage

Always good to finish on a high. Well done. John
Old 06-08-2017, 07:15 PM
Shane
Brancher

Hi all, i was hoping to restart this thread for Sharak's second season, but due to some reasons I prefer not to comment on, Sharak went "missing" a number of weeks ago from a "friends" flight pen where she had been put up for the moult

Been looking for her everywhere so unless she magically reappears this will be the last post on her.

I was holding off as much as possible in hope Sharak would appear but as hunting season starts next week, today I started working on another female harris bred by a friend last year and yet untouched. Will start up a post on her soon!
Old 06-08-2017, 08:33 PM
Passage

Sorry to hear about Sharak. Looking forward to your new thread.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:41 PM
Banned
Passage

Bad times shane.

Keep looking