Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 14-01-2018, 05:51 PM
Nick Curry
Passage

Default Re: Snipe Hawking 14/15

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the report. Well done on the snipe. I know it's not the classic way to catch them but some of the best flights Ive seen up on the fells here were the wild haggard tiercels chasing snipe all over the sky and footing them high up. All out tail chases where the speed advantage was definitely with the wild tiercel. Every trained tiercel I've seen has been slower or no faster than the snipe and they have all given up when the snipe has towered op into the sky. For the wild tiercel this is just the start of the flight most of the time and the way they can reel in a snipe across the sky is always amazing. So for your tiercel to be pulling them in chases is pretty impressive, but obviously brings in inherent risk as you describe from the hyenas.

Regards,
Nick
Old 15-01-2018, 10:16 AM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakDaggerTiercel View Post
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the report. Well done on the snipe. I know it's not the classic way to catch them but some of the best flights Ive seen up on the fells here were the wild haggard tiercels chasing snipe all over the sky and footing them high up. All out tail chases where the speed advantage was definitely with the wild tiercel. Every trained tiercel I've seen has been slower or no faster than the snipe and they have all given up when the snipe has towered op into the sky. For the wild tiercel this is just the start of the flight most of the time and the way they can reel in a snipe across the sky is always amazing. So for your tiercel to be pulling them in chases is pretty impressive, but obviously brings in inherent risk as you describe from the hyenas.

Regards,
Nick
Shwmae Nick, I've never seen that myself it must be an awesome sight the haggards really are something else. I've seen them chasing the racing pigeons in the valleys I'm amazed at the persistence of them.
I trapped and trained a haggard tiercel, fit bird took a variety of quarry on every outing but wouldn't wait on over the dog, nightmare it was ,so I was glad when I woke up, and Dewi was sat on the block. Lol. Tony.
Old 15-01-2018, 12:35 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Well done Tony, nice clips, I wish I could master this computer business.
Old 17-01-2018, 06:56 PM
Brancher

Bitter cold morning yesterday on the uplands, probably minus 3 or 4, even the mountain ponies were sheltered from the wind. The GWP came on point about 400m away and was soon backed by the setter, I cast Dewi off and he immediately flew over the dogs.
His pitch was 59m to start but as I made my way over the tiercel was lowering his pitch. The flushing was on the button and Dewi hooked the snipe in the air, typical I managed to film it but it was no spectacle.

Today back to the lowlands, we flew some new ground that looked lovely from the road. A flood plain I'd say next to a major river and was heavily covered in rush. Walking was hard going, we swung around into the wind and snipe started breaking immediately we worked the dogs wanting a point but it seemed impossible so I put Dewi up. He was soon bombing the snipe which were putting back in when under pressure, he had 1 really notable flight when a snipe broke whilst Dewi was down wind, he chased it into the wind up into the sky until both were out of sight, he soon returned over the field, his best pitch up till now was 100m, he d been in the air now for 25mins with several flights and near misses and decided to have 5 in a nearby tree. Shortly after the dog bumped a miscellaneous and Dewi caught it out of the tree. It was a shame after all the flying he d done hope it hasn't sown the seed for more like that. We turned to the hip flask to drown our sorrows more than celebrate. Although there were plenty of snipe there we won't be rushing back to that field. Two kills in two days but both in poor style.
Tony
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtNQVZos62k
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180116_092429.jpg (96.5 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 20180117_111840.jpg (104.1 KB, 138 views)
Old 17-01-2018, 07:10 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Bitter cold morning yesterday on the uplands, probably minus 3 or 4, even the mountain ponies were sheltered from the wind. The GWP came on point about 400m away and was soon backed by the setter, I cast Dewi off and he immediately flew over the dogs.
His pitch was 59m to start but as I made my way over the tiercel was lowering his pitch. The flushing was on the button and Dewi hooked the snipe in the air, typical I managed to film it but it was no spectacle.

Today back to the lowlands, we flew some new ground that looked lovely from the road. A flood plain I'd say next to a major river and was heavily covered in rush. Walking was hard going, we swung around into the wind and snipe started breaking immediately we worked the dogs wanting a point but it seemed impossible so I put Dewi up. He was soon bombing the snipe which were putting back in when under pressure, he had 1 really notable flight when a snipe broke whilst Dewi was down wind, he chased it into the wind up into the sky until both were out of sight, he soon returned over the field, his best pitch up till now was 100m, he d been in the air now for 25mins with several flights and near misses and decided to have 5 in a nearby tree. Shortly after the dog bumped a miscellaneous and Dewi caught it out of the tree. It was a shame after all the flying he d done hope it hasn't sown the seed for more like that. We turned to the hip flask to drown our sorrows more than celebrate. Although there were plenty of snipe there we won't be rushing back to that field. Two kills in two days but both in poor style.
Tony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtNQVZos62k
Don't you just hate that when it happens Tony, sound like you have found snipe city.
Old 22-01-2018, 05:34 PM
Brancher

We flew the uplands today, the locals said there was over a foot of snow up there during the new year so I didn't expect to see many snipe . After a bit of time on the block on the hill Dewi started pumping his wings as if to say what are we waiting for.
Working down the slope with the wind at my back (as you do) both dogs had run on ahead and were working their way back up the slope ,when Gwen came on point, the setter not that far behind came to a sudden standstill on spotting her. Hood off and Dewi was soon over the dogs waiting up wind at less than 50m, I flushed when he was wide but Dewi was on to him in a flash with the wind behind him the snipe was just about to get snagged from behind when he dumped into the rushes, Dewi clocked him on the ground and with a throw up and some fancy wing work he came down hard on the snipe. It was good to get a result as he's been flying well lately and not had the rewards. Tony .
Did n't film the flight just the before and after.

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPKI...ature=youtu.be
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _17A0065.jpg (99.4 KB, 99 views)
Old 22-01-2018, 06:11 PM
Nick Curry
Passage

Nice crisp images Tony. Enjoyed that.

Regards

Nick
Old 22-01-2018, 07:27 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Thumbs up Re: Snipe Hawking 14/15

Nice one Tony, enjoyed that.

Bradley
Old 22-01-2018, 10:41 PM
Passage

Good stuff Tony, it was like I was there. All the best Chris
Old 25-01-2018, 01:50 PM
Brancher

Cheers bois, been using the SLR lately when its suitable seems to be better image but hopeless for filming in flight. Tony.

Yesterday it was back to the pasture fields, 20mph winds with blue skies above in patches. Gwen was showing signs immediately that there were snipe up ahead so Dewi was unhooded and ready to go. Just as he began his rouse about 15 snipe broke in a wave across the field.
Dewi took to the air while Gwen searched for more snipe the snipe were breaking randomly and Dewi had a few angled flights but was unlucky ,one put in to a top of a hedge and got away, another went through some trees and made it to freedom. Gelert came on point and just as Dewi was coming over from down wind the snipe broke on his own terms Dewi hit it in the stoop and the snipe fell into the grass ,Dewi buzzed over the area a few times reluctant to commit him self but eventually landed on what he thought was the snipe but the real snipe made a break for it the second he hit the floor, leaving a solitary feather on the ground as he sped off down the slope. He had another 3 or 4 very close chases and after 25 mins in the air I lured him in and called it a day, contented with the effort he put in, highest pitch 76m.
Chris suggested a swig from the hip flask i refused as the tiercel was unsuccessful in his many attempts, but then he said " we should celebrate every day we go hunting and see such flights like the ones we had just witnessed " I had to agree, he was right, .....either that or we both got drink problems .
No film but here's a clip from earlier in the season of the young setter, he's a bit sticky occasionally on the flushing as you'll see. We could have had all the flight if the camera man hadn't fallen asleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DvRcBKZ_Mg

Tony