Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco

Old 15-01-2018, 12:23 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Default Re: Jimmy G,

Just a little update, seeing its raining & blowing to day, decided to can it. Feeling tired from my 68 mile bike ride yesterday helped with the decision. Jimmy caught and lost a mallard last Thursday. But worth a mention, a friend came out to see him fly and as usual, Murphy was around, Jimmy mounted up but circled much wider, he was the other side of the river approx 400ft up. As is usual, the normal questions were being fired at me, (from a non falconer) and I replied, this was to much noise, and a duck busted about 250 yards from us, from the ditch, it gained height flying right round us, and headed in Jimmy's general direction, Id say it was a good 200ft up, as it crossed the river, and Jimmy intercepted it with a bind, parachuting down on the other side of the river. We ran to the bank, got the telemetry out, a nice stactic signal, with the odd squelch. My guest John, was all for running to the car and driving around, I said thats not a good idea, if he loses it and comes back he may get lost. He is on his own, we waited for ten minutes, listening to the strange signal, almost certainly from the ground just behind the dyked river. Just when I thought he may have it, he arrived at my feet wet through with blood on his crop. Joanie's last flight was straight to a puddle on last Saturday, lovely bath she had, Babs put in a nice stoop on a Teal narrowly missing it, throwing up and stooping again just as the teal dived headlong in black ditch on the same day.
Old 15-01-2018, 07:50 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamishHawk View Post
Just a little update, seeing its raining & blowing to day, decided to can it. Feeling tired from my 68 mile bike ride yesterday helped with the decision. Jimmy caught and lost a mallard last Thursday. But worth a mention, a friend came out to see him fly and as usual, Murphy was around, Jimmy mounted up but circled much wider, he was the other side of the river approx 400ft up. As is usual, the normal questions were being fired at me, (from a non falconer) and I replied, this was to much noise, and a duck busted about 250 yards from us, from the ditch, it gained height flying right round us, and headed in Jimmy's general direction, Id say it was a good 200ft up, as it crossed the river, and Jimmy intercepted it with a bind, parachuting down on the other side of the river. We ran to the bank, got the telemetry out, a nice stactic signal, with the odd squelch. My guest John, was all for running to the car and driving around, I said thats not a good idea, if he loses it and comes back he may get lost. He is on his own, we waited for ten minutes, listening to the strange signal, almost certainly from the ground just behind the dyked river. Just when I thought he may have it, he arrived at my feet wet through with blood on his crop. Joanie's last flight was straight to a puddle on last Saturday, lovely bath she had, Babs put in a nice stoop on a Teal narrowly missing it, throwing up and stooping again just as the teal dived headlong in black ditch on the same day.
Some days it just does n't work out . My tiercel is partial to a bath when he's out flying, he'll hardly ever use the bath provided for him at home for some reason. Tony
Old 17-01-2018, 04:16 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Some days it just does n't work out . My tiercel is partial to a bath when he's out flying, he'll hardly ever use the bath provided for him at home for some reason. Tony
Your not wrong there Tony, today almost ended in tears, but there is a happy ending. Starting at the beginning, we put Jimmy up in windy conditions, near the railway bridge pond, and was pleasantly surprised how high he went, considering his weight was lower than I would have liked. He stayed tight as we walked in from the windward side, he held position well, the last few yards we shouted & bashed the bushes with our sticks. A single teal flushed, Jimmy went into full tuck hurtling down to the duck, that had flown across the pond, and dived back in. Then waiting for him to mount again, tried to reflush the teal from some reeds, no such luck, I was just going to throw the lure out and realized he'd gone, neither Sherry or I knew what direction, we thought he had stooped and caught something. The telemetry was brought into play, no signal on near, flicked the switch to medium, still no signal, but a good one on far, down wind, in the direction of middle hedgerow. after a good 600yards we heard and saw crows & magpies mobing at the hedge, I could not cross the drainage ditch inbetween, so just shouted and waved my stick, some of them flew off, but there were a few die hards. Sherry continued with these tactics, as I run to the nearest crossing place to get round, the last crows had fled, but all was quiet, turned the reciever back on, and found jimmy half in ditch water, with a partly submerged crow, he had one foot firmly round the neck, the other trying to pull himself up the bank. He looked exhausted, I pulled both out of the ditch and dispatched the crow. While taking pictures etc, Jimmy just sat on the crow, I tried to encourage him to eat, and he did take a few beak fulls, transferred him to the lure garnished with a chick. He just sat on it, so checked the crow out, he looked healthy, removed and scored the breast, and gave Jim the bloody heart, which he ate on the lure, before picking up with the warm breast, he ate a little but looked drained, Sherry broke a chick up and dipped the meat in a puddle to moisten it before finger feeding him, after his small feed he dropped to his hocks, not looking good, so I held him in my jacket to keep the wind off as we walked back to the car. At the car I put him in the hawk box, that was warm from the sun, he could barely grip the perch. Back home, the fire was lit in the living room & central heating turned up, now he was looking really slitty eyed and could not stand up. So out with the old hair dryer to warm him up, some savlon healing gel was applied to his right wing, were he was pecked, the second primary on his right wing had 1/2 inch missing & on the left wing, the second primary feather had 1 1/2 inches hanging on a thread. The feeling was, he was done for, but an hour or so later he jumped off the block and ran round it regaining again, then he baited toward me when I entered the room, the small crop was put over. I offered some food on the glove, he ate with relish taking another small crop, when that's put over I'll offer some more. What a day elated one moment, and despair the next, then relief.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5309.jpg (102.4 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5318.jpg (103.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5331.jpg (102.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5335.jpg (100.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5345.jpg (103.0 KB, 75 views)
Old 17-01-2018, 06:48 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Your not wrong there Tony, today almost ended in tears, but there is a happy ending. Starting at the beginning, we put Jimmy up in windy conditions, near the railway bridge pond, and was pleasantly surprised how high he went, considering his weight was lower than I would have liked. He stayed tight as we walked in from the windward side, he held position well, the last few yards we shouted & bashed the bushes with our sticks. A single teal flushed, Jimmy went into full tuck hurtling down to the duck, that had flown across the pond, and dived back in. Then waiting for him to mount again, tried to reflush the teal from some reeds, no such luck, I was just going to throw the lure out and realized he'd gone, neither Sherry or I knew what direction, we thought he had stooped and caught something. The telemetry was brought into play, no signal on near, flicked the switch to medium, still no signal, but a good one on far, down wind, in the direction of middle hedgerow. after a good 600yards we heard and saw crows & magpies mobing at the hedge, I could not cross the drainage ditch inbetween, so just shouted and waved my stick, some of them flew off, but there were a few die hards. Sherry continued with these tactics, as I run to the nearest crossing place to get round, the last crows had fled, but all was quiet, turned the reciever back on, and found jimmy half in ditch water, with a partly submerged crow, he had one foot firmly round the neck, the other trying to pull himself up the bank. He looked exhausted, I pulled both out of the ditch and dispatched the crow. While taking pictures etc, Jimmy just sat on the crow, I tried to encourage him to eat, and he did take a few beak fulls, transferred him to the lure garnished with a chick. He just sat on it, so checked the crow out, he looked healthy, removed and scored the breast, and gave Jim the bloody heart, which he ate on the lure, before picking up with the warm breast, he ate a little but looked drained, Sherry broke a chick up and dipped the meat in a puddle to moisten it before finger feeding him, after his small feed he dropped to his hocks, not looking good, so I held him in my jacket to keep the wind off as we walked back to the car. At the car I put him in the hawk box, that was warm from the sun, he could barely grip the perch. Back home, the fire was lit in the living room & central heating turned up, now he was looking really slitty eyed and could not stand up. So out with the old hair dryer to warm him up, some savlon healing gel was applied to his right wing, were he was pecked, the second primary on his right wing had 1/2 inch missing & on the left wing, the second primary feather had 1 1/2 inches hanging on a thread. The feeling was, he was done for, but an hour or so later he jumped off the block and ran round it regaining again, then he baited toward me when I entered the room, the small crop was put over. I offered some food on the glove, he ate with relish taking another small crop, when that's put over I'll offer some more. What a day elated one moment, and despair the next, then relief.
Cracking write up Steve, he done well to take one of those ugly things. Magic hair drier saves the day again. Tony
Old 17-01-2018, 07:03 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Cracking write up Steve, he done well to take one of those ugly things. Magic hair drier saves the day again. Tony
Thanks Tony, I should mention its an old dryer, not a good idea to use a modern one, which has Teflon in it, and will kill birds especially using in confined spaces.
Old 17-01-2018, 07:07 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Thanks Tony, I should mention its an old dryer, not a good idea to use a modern one, which has Teflon in it, and will kill birds especially using in confined spaces.
Thanks for the info did n't know that , hair drier saved many a sparrow hawk for me. Tony
Old 17-01-2018, 07:11 PM
Passage

Well done on the crow. Glad he's better.
Old 17-01-2018, 07:46 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love My Dog View Post
Well done on the crow. Glad he's better.
He's fine thanks Donna, being spoilt, on a block in the living room. First time in doors, pooping for England, nice healthy mutes.
Old 17-01-2018, 08:41 PM
Brancher

Well done jimmy he did well to keep hold of that mate, when you finish flying this season I`ll borrow him or the landfill lol
Old 20-01-2018, 03:10 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryCollett View Post
well done jimmy he did well to keep hold of that mate, when you finish flying this season I`ll borrow him or the landfill lol
Flew him in the rain this morning Terry, he's still punching above his weight, knocked a Cock pheasant down, it hit the ground, a bit shook up, and ran into the hedge, I called it a day, and gave Jimmy the lure.